Today I am sharing how to make a DIY Cat Ear Headband Tutorial.
Do you have a cat lover in your house? What’s more perfect for your little kitty fan than a Cat Ear Headband?
I’m supposed to be spending my time this week working on the Halloween Costumes for my kids, but I’ve been procrastinating and working on mostly non-productive stuff… (I’m really good at that, lol!)
So far this week, I’ve managed to make this little cat ear headband for my daughter. I will get her little kitty cat costume finished up over the next couple of days, but in the meantime, she is very happy to just wear the headband around! Let’s just hope we don’t loose it before Halloween!
The headband is really cute and even though I won’t be dressing up, I may have to make one for myself as well…
***Update- I did finish her costume, you can see it here: DIY Kitty Costume.***
To make the Cat Ear Headband, you need:
- Cat Ear template (Print here
- 2 colors of felt (I used brown and pink)
- needle and matching thread
- Fabric Covered headband
Print the cat ear template and cut out the pieces. Line up the template on the felt and cut out 4 of the larger pieces and 2 of the smaller pieces.
Center the smaller piece of felt in the middle of the larger piece. Align the bottom of the smaller piece above where the larger piece starts to curve. (I didn’t mark that on the photo below, but hopefully you can see what I mean.) Hand or machine stitch the smaller pieces to the larger pieces. I did use my machine, but I used a blanket stitch that kind of looks like a hand stitch.
Line up 2 of the larger triangles (one embellished and one not with the embellished side facing in) and stitch along the sides as indicated below. Leaving about a 1.5 inch opening.
Flip the ear right side out.
Fill with stuffing.
Using matching thread, hand stitch the opening closed.
Hand stitch the ears in place onto the fabric covered headband. (Be sure to start in the back, if you are anything like me, your stitches will probably improve as you go.)
For a little something extra, I hand stitched a bit of furry trim to the center of our headband…
They turned out really cute, now I just need to finish the actual costume!