Last week, I cooked up a huge value pack of chicken breasts in the crock pot. (On low for about 5 hours.) After the chicken was done, I let it cool a bit and then put it in the fridge to finish cooling completely. The next day I diced the chicken breast and froze it into individual meal size servings.
I love having my meats pre cooked and ready for whatever meal I have scheduled for that day. It is so convenient and shaves at least 10 minutes off of my peal prep time. (Chicken is almost always on sale at one store or another, that is why you will find so many chicken dishes on my blog.)
Using the pre-cooked chicken, I put this Chicken Enchilada Skillet together faster than it took me to set up and photograph the dish! I know chips are not the healthiest meal addition, but no matter what the dish is, when I serve it with chips, it is gobbled up by my little guys every time… (You could make your own chips in a pinch using corn or flour tortillas and if your grocery store makes fresh tortillas like mine does, that would be even better!)
Quick Chicken Enchilada Skillet (adapted from Kraft.com)
- 2 cups of diced pre-cooked chicken breast
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. taco seasoning mix
- 1 tsp. oil
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) beans, rinsed (Black, pinto or kidney – I used pinto)
- 1 tub (10 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Southwest Cooking Cream (The southwest cooking creme can be difficult to find, you can use plain cooking cream or 1/2 block of softened regular cream cheese. If you do increase your taco seasoning and salsa just a bit)
- 1/2 cup of chunky Salsa
- 1-1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- tortilla chips
- optional guacamole and sour cream
- Heat oil in skillet, add chicken and taco seasoning, saute until chicken is heated through.
- Add beans, cooking cream and salsa. Gently stir until combined and heated through.
- Top with cheese, lettuce and chopped tomatoes.
- Serve with chips and optional guacamole and sour cream.
Don’t miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin’, via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below:
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.