Holiday baking season is officially here and for those looking for something a little different to bake, this Cherry Eggnog Quick Bread Recipe is it! Cherry and eggnog are classic holiday flavors and this quick bread is perfect for as a gift for the neighbor or to bring along to a holiday gathering.
Holiday baking really kicks off the week of Thanksgiving through December as we prepare for family gatherings, work parties, Christmas parties, and other general holiday festivities. I enjoy spending time in the kitchen (the cleaning- not so much, lol.) and no one ever complains when I make a new dessert or treat!
But all the holiday basics – pumpkin pie, chocolate chip cookies, sugar cookies – get a little boring after a while. They’re things I love to bake with my kids but they’re also the things that everyone else takes to any holiday gathering.
One of my favorite things to bake is quick breads. They are really easy to throw together and they make the best hostess gifts too.
The cherries and eggnog combine together really well in this bread. It’s much easier to make than it looks – besides the cherries and eggnog, everything else is probably already in your baking cupboard.
As I mentioned, this makes a great hostess gift and an alternative to the cookie platters so many others give. And I promise that if you take this to a holiday gathering, it will definitely stand out among all of the cookies and pies!
Cherry Eggnog Quick Bread Recipe
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup eggnog
- 3/4 cup maraschino cherries chopped and drained
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 teaspoons of eggnog
- 1/4 cup sliced natural almonds
- Preheat oven to 325. Spray loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In larger bowl, beat butter and sugar on high speed until mixture is light and fluffy. On medium speed, add eggs 1 at a time, beating until blended.
- Add one third of flour mixture, beating on low speed til combined. Beat in half the eggnog. Add in another third of flour, remaining eggnog and then remaining flour, beating after each addition.
- Gently stir cherries into the batter and pour batter into pan.
- Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and top is golden brown.
- Cool in pan about 5 minutes. Loosen sides of loaf and remove from pan. Let cool completely.
- For glaze, mix powdered sugar add eggnog until smooth. Drizzle half mixture over cooled loaf.
- Sprinkle loaf with almonds and drizzle with remaining glaze