This Creamy Mushroom and Sausage Pasta is a quick and easy meal solution for those…
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This homestyle creamy ham and potato casserole is a perfect comfort food recipe for the family. Bonus – it’s low calorie!
I have been going through some of my old “low-cal” recipes looking for a few different meals to add to our menu plan rotation. I tried out this Creamy Ham and Potato Casserole last week. Wow, it was really yummy and a hit with everyone! This recipe serve 4 and surprisingly clocks in at about 260 calories per serving.
I may have used more than 1/4 cup of the Panko bread crumbs the recipe called for, but the bread crumbs really made it good. Next time, I might just keep the extra bread crumbs on the kids half to keep the calories down for me…
Homestyle creamy ham and potato casserole.
- 1 1/4 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 tsp each, salt and pepper
- 4 small potatoes (1 1/4 lbs total) peeled, diced and boiled
- 6 oz diced ham
- 1/4 cup corn
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese, plus 1/8 cup of cheese for top layer
- 1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- If your potatoes aren’t cooked yet, peel and dice them into uniform pieces and boil them in the microwave about 7 to 8 minutes, until soft. Once potatoes are ready, go ahead and salt and pepper them to taste.
- In a sauce pan, combine skim milk, evaporated skim milk, flour, salt and pepper (about 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.) Over medium high heat, stir constantly until sauce has thickened.
- Place half of the potatoes on the bottom of a well greased 9 inch square baking dish. Layer half the ham, corn, cheese and onion in the pan, then cover with half the sauce. Repeat each layer, finishing with the final 1/8 cup of cheese and 1/4 cup of bread crumbs. Lightly drizzle a little bit of olive oil (about a tablespoon) over the top of the breadcrumbs.
- Bake uncovered for 55 to 60 minutes. If you find the top getting too brown cover with a little bit of foil and finish cooking.