Love Cuban Sandwiches? Then you’ll love this Cuban French Bread Pizza Recipe! It’s loaded with ham, shredded pork, and Swiss cheese; and adds an awesomely delicious twist to your favorite French bread pizza.
Cuban French Bread Pizza
Quesadillas are my go-to for a quick dinner on busy nights when strapped for time. Kids love ’em, but there are only so many times I can serve quesadillas in a row until the kids start complaining (no matter how I “mix-them-up,” lol).
To change things up a bit, I added this fun Cuban French Bread Pizza Recipe to our routine. Everybody loves a French bread pizza – the crunchy toasted French bread covered with yummy toppings and cheese. What’s not to love?
This Cuban French Bread Pizza is a delicious twist on the traditional Cuban sandwich but is still super quick to prepare on evenings when I don’t have much time to cook. It’s really easy to make too. It’s one of those easily assembled meals that are perfect for little helpers to assist – just the French bread topped with mustard, ham, pork, pickles, and Swiss cheese.
This recipe is an excellent way to use leftover pork, though I often use premade carnitas found in the deli section or frozen pulled pork. (Look for the kind without BBQ sauce added.)
Ingredients needed to make this French bread Pizza
- French bread | Crusty French bread or even submarine rolls work for this recipe.
- Yellow mustard | I prefer plain yellow mustard for our Cuban pizzas.
- Shredded pork | Leftover or store-bought. Just make sure it is pre-warmed.
- Sliced ham | Any ham/deli lunch meat works
- Pickles | Dill pickles, sliced and patted dry
- Sliced Swiss cheese
How to make a Cuban Pizza
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400° f. Slice the French bread in half and coat generously with mustard. Add a layer of sliced ham and top with the shredded pork, then top with sliced pickles. Cover everything with the sliced cheese.
- Bake: Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until cheese is hot and melty.
- Enjoy: remove from the oven, let cool slightly. Slice and enjoy!
Sliced horizontally, these pizza strips are perfect for little fingers!
- Ensure meat is cooked before adding.
- Feel free to add extra cheese.
- Place finished Cuban French bread pizzas under the broiler for about a minute to make the cheese and toppings extra crispy.
- Change it up. You can create any French bread pizza and cook them all on the same baking sheet.
- If you don’t have French bread or a baguette, you can use other options DIY or pre-made pizza crusts, ciabatta bread, or Flat-Out Bread. You can even use leftover hot dog or hamburger buns.
Store leftovers by stacking the cooled slices in an airtight container or on a plate wrapping in plastic wrap for up to four days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
If frozen, let the pizza thaw over night in the fridge. Reheat in an air fryer at 350 for about 4 minutes or in the oven at 300 F for about 10 minutes. You could also microwave the leftovers, but they will lose crispness.
Now it’s your turn! What’s your favorite twist on a French bread pizza? Sound off in the comments below.Print
Cuban French Bread Pizza Recipe – It’s loaded with ham, shredded pork and Swiss cheese; and adds an awesomely delicious twist to your favorite French bread pizza.
- French bread (I used submarine rolls)
- Yellow mustard
- Shredded pork (prewarmed)
- Sliced ham
- Sliced pickles (patted dry)
- Sliced Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° f.
- Slice french bread in half and coat generously with mustard.
- Add a layer of sliced ham and top with the shredded pork.
- Top the pork with a few sliced pickles.
- Cover everything with the sliced cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until cheese is hot and melty
Serve and enjoy!
- This is the type of dish you can make enough for one or 10. For my family of 4, we used about 10 oz of pulled pork, four huge slices of deli-counter ham and ten slices of cheese. (We like it extra cheesy!)
- I know the thought of adding the pickles before baking might seem strange to some, but it’s really yummy, trust me!
Don't miss any more posts!
Follow along on:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.