Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
I have a great (mostly-homemade) Easy Baked Beans recipe to share with you today. This recipe has a secret ingredient that makes the beans extra yummy!
Easy Baked Beans Recipe
Both of my kids love beans. All kinds.. ranch style, black beans, charro, refried and baked. So beans make a frequent appearance at dinner, either as a dish on their own or as a filler ingredient in a recipe.
I personally love Baked Beans; the sweet and savory flavors together are just so good.
The Secret Ingredient for the Most Amazing Baked Beans:
There is a secret ingredient in this Baked Beans Recipe…. Are you ready for it?
It’s Root Beer! (and ok, the bacon doesn’t hurt either, lol.)
The addition of root beer and bacon to this baked bean recipe give it the just perfect amount of sweet and salty flavor.
This isn’t the first time I’ve shared a recipe made with root beer. It’s the secret ingredient to a couple of my slow cooker recipes: Barbecue pulled pork and Barbecue Chicken Breasts in the Slow Cooker. There’s just something about the strong flavor of root beer that holds up when cooking low and slow.
Easy Baked Beans Recipe with a secret ingredient that makes the beans EXTRA delicious!
- 6 slices of bacon, torn into large pieces
- 1 onion diced (or about a cup of frozen diced onion, defrosted)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 12 oz can Root Beer (Dr Pepper will also work)
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 3 generous squirts of ketchup
- 3 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp Red Pepper flakes (add more only after tasting…)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 15 oz cans cannellini or navy beans
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook bacon in an oven-safe pot over medium heat. (like this dutch oven– I recommend one with a metal handle)
- Remove bacon and add onions and garlic to the pot and saute until onions are soft.
- Add Root Beer, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, red pepper and cumin to the pot.
- Stir together and bring to a boil. Gently add beans and 1/2 the bacon. Mix well.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Move beans to a preheated oven and bake, uncovered for at least 30 minutes, or until your desired thickness has been achieved.
- Let cool slightly. Season with salt and pepper if needed and mix in the rest of the bacon.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 317
- Fat: 3
Keywords: baked beans