I have a great (mostly-homemade) Easy Baked Beans recipe to share with you today. This recipe has a secret ingredient that makes the beans extra yummy!
Both of my kids love beans. All kinds.. ranch style, black beans, charro, refried and baked. So beans make a frequent appearance at dinner, either as a dish on their own or as a filler ingredient in a recipe.
I personally love Baked Beans; the sweet and savory flavors together are just so good. The addition of root beer and bacon to this baked bean recipe give it the just perfect amount of flavor.
This isn’t the first time I’ve shared a recipe made with root beer. There’s just something about the strong flavor of root beer that holds up when cooking low and slow.
It’s the secret ingredient to a couple of my slow cooker recipes: Barbecue pulled pork and Barbecue Chicken Breasts in the Slow Cooker. (Those are some of my early recipes, I should really think about updating the photos…)
Easy Baked Beans
Recipe by Jamie Sanders
(Easy Baked Beans recipe with a secret ingredient that makes the beans extra yummy!)
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hours 10 min
Fat per serving: 3
- 6 slices of bacon, torn into large pieces
- 1 onion diced (or about a cup of frozen diced onion, defrosted)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 12 oz can Root Beer (Dr Pepper will also work)
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 3 generous squirts of ketchup
- 3 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp Red Pepper flakes (add more only after tasting…)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 15 oz cans cannellini or navy beans,
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook bacon in an oven-safe pot over medium heat. (like this dutch oven)
- Remove bacon and add onions and garlic to the pot and saute until onions are soft.
- Add Root Beer, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, red pepper and cumin to the pot.
- Stir together ad bring to a boil.
- Gently add beans and 1/2 the bacon. Mix well. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Move beans to a preheated oven and bake, uncovered for at least 30 minutes, or until your desired thickness has been achieved.
- Let cool slightly. Season with salt and pepper if needed and mix in the rest of the bacon.
Don't miss any more posts! Follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!