I’m sharing one of my families favorite traditional Holiday recipe: Black Cherry Jello Salad made with Black Cherry Jello and Cool Whip!
Black Cherry Jello Salad Recipe:
We all have that favorite recipe that our Christmas or Thanksgiving Meals would be incomplete without.
For me, the dish is a Black Cherry Jell-O Salad. My family has been serving this Jell-O Salad at Holiday meals since before I was born. (or at least as long as I can remember…)
I’m not sure where the recipe originated, but I do know both my grandmothers always made it too, so it’s hard to say which side of the family it came from. My family knows this is my favorite too. In fact, it was nicknamed “Jamie’s Jello salad” sometime in the ’80’s.
We had our annual Boy Scout Potluck earlier this week and I signed up to bring Jello Salad.
You might actually be surprised at some of the ingredients in this Jello salad and since I’ve never actually measured the ingredients when making this dish, I had to pay attention and measure everything out for you today.
My normal way to prepare it is just to add the ingredients a little at a time and taste as I go, lol.
Ingredients in Black Cherry Jello Salad
Yep, that’s shredded Cheddar cheese you see in the photo!
I’m serious when I tell you the cheese absolutely makes the salad. Don’t be tempted to leave it out!
- Black Cherry Jello | Two small boxes, prepared. (The size box that serves 4.) If you can’t find black cherry, regular cherry Jell-o will do. And yes, you can use sugar free Jello.
- 2 – 8 oz cans of pineapple tidbits | Drained. Sometimes I can’t find tidbits, if that’s the case for you, just use chucks or slices and dice them up yourself.
- 3/4 to 1 cup of chopped pecan pieces | Use as little or as much pecans as you want. We love pecans, so I use the full cup.
- 2/3 cup finely shredded Cheddar Cheese | Sounds strange, I know, but don’t leave the cheese out.
- 1 1/4 cup Cool Whip | I have only ever used Cool Whip in this recipe, so I can’t tell you if homemade whipped cream will work. You can use lite or sugar free Cool Whip.
This Jell-O salad is so easy and so good!
Such an excellent complement to all the traditional holiday and other potluck dishes!
Looking for a low carb version of this jello salad? See that one here.
What are some of your family’s traditional Holiday recipes?
I would love to hear about them.Print
Black Cherry Jello Salad: Made with Black Cherry Jello, Cool Whip, pecans, and cheese is a delicious jello salad often served at holiday and potluck meals.
- 2 small boxes Black Cherry Jello prepared (If you can’t find black cherry, regular cherry Jell-o will do.)
- 2 8 oz cans of pineapple tidbits, drained
- 3/4 to 1 cup of chopped pecan pieces (use as little or as much pecans as you want)
- 2/3 cup finely shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 1/4 cup Cool Whip
1. Stir prepared Jello until “crumbly”:
2. Mix in the rest of the ingredients until thoroughly combined
3. Return to the refrigerator until ready to serve.
This is one of those recipes that is even better prepared the day before.
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.