I’m sharing one of my families favorite traditional Holiday recipe: Black Cherry Jello Salad made with Black Cherry Jello and Cool Whip!
Black Cherry Jello Salad Recipe:
We all have that favorite recipe that our Christmas or Thanksgiving Meals would be incomplete without. For me, the dish is a Black Cherry Jell-O Salad. My family has been serving this Jell-O Salad at Holiday meals since before I was born. (or at least as long as I can remember…) I’m not sure where the recipe originated, but I do know both my grandmothers always made it too, so it’s hard to say which side of the family it came from. My family knows this is my favorite too. In fact, it was nicknamed “Jamie’s Jello salad” sometime in the ’80’s.
We had our annual Boy Scout Potluck earlier this week and I signed up to bring Jello Salad.
You might actually be surprised at some of the ingredients in this Jello salad and since I’ve never actually measured the ingredients when making this dish, I had to pay attention and measure everything out for you today. My normal way to prepare it is just to add the ingredients a little at a time and taste as I go…
Yep, that is shredded Cheddar cheese- I’m serious when I tell you the cheese absolutely makes the salad. Don’t be tempted to leave it out!
That’s it! This Jell-O salad is so easy and so good! Such an excellent complement to all the traditional holiday and other potluck dishes! Looking for a low carb version of this jello salad? See that one here.
What are some of your family’s traditional Holiday recipes? I would love to hear about them.
Black Cherry Jello Salad Recipe
Black Cherry Jello Salad: Made with Black Cherry Jello, Cool Whip, pecans, and cheese is a delicious jello salad often served at holiday and potluck meals.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes + time for the jello to set
- 2 small boxes Black Cherry Jello prepared (If you can’t find black cherry, regular cherry Jell-o will do.)
- 2 8 oz cans of pineapple tidbits, drained
- 3/4 to 1 cup of chopped pecan pieces (use as little or as much pecans as you want)
- 2/3 cup finely shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 1/4 cup Cool Whip
1. Stir prepared Jello until “crumbly”:
2. Mix in the rest of the ingredients until thoroughly combined
3. Return to the refrigerator until ready to serve.
This is one of those recipes that is even better prepared the day before.