Pasta with White Beans, Chicken and Spinach
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
A pasta and chicken recipe make an appearance on our menu at least once a week. This is a healthy one that uses the white beans and chicken. (I almost always have pre-cooked chicken in the freezer, so it is a snap to prepare.) Using white beans give the pasta a creamy texture without added fat.
- 12 to 16 oz of pasta, (penne or rotini or bowtie is a good choice, our favorite is Ronzoni Smart Taste)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 garlic gloves, minced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed (I keep white beans in my freezer in 1 cup portions)
- 3 to 5 cups baby spinach ( Just depends how much spinach you want)
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 cup precooked chicken
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4th tsp each of basil and oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese
1. Boil water for pasta and cook until al dente following package directions.
2. While pasta is cooking, saute garlic and onion with 1 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat for about a minute, add precooked chicken and saute for another minute. Stir in beans, spinach, broth, tomato, basil and oregano and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until spinach has wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water. Add pasta to sauce. If the pasta seems to dry, stir in pasta cooking water 1 Tbsp. at a time until desired consistency.
5. Add salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese to taste.
Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy!
*update* I just wanted to add, sometimes I do include about a quarter cup of half n half if I have it. This addition doesn’t add too much calorie-wise, but it does make the dish even creamier and yummier. If you don’t have half n half, you could add more chicken broth or save a little bit of the pasta cooking water…
I saw anther version of this recipe where the cook added some diced sun-dried tomatoes. I may add some next time…
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.
This recipe is fantastic! I used ground chicken, will be making this again soon!
This looks like a yummy recipe! I'm going to try making it this week! Thanks for posting it.