A pasta and chicken recipe make an appearance on our menu at least once a week. This is a healthy one that uses the white beans and chicken. (I almost always have pre-cooked chicken in the freezer, so it is a snap to prepare.) Using white beans give the pasta a creamy texture without added fat.
- 12 to 16 oz of pasta, (penne or rotini or bowtie is a good choice, our favorite is Ronzoni Smart Taste)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 garlic gloves, minced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed (I keep white beans in my freezer in 1 cup portions)
- 3 to 5 cups baby spinach ( Just depends how much spinach you want)
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 cup precooked chicken
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4th tsp each of basil and oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese
1. Boil water for pasta and cook until al dente following package directions.
2. While pasta is cooking, saute garlic and onion with 1 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat for about a minute, add precooked chicken and saute for another minute. Stir in beans, spinach, broth, tomato, basil and oregano and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until spinach has wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water. Add pasta to sauce. If the pasta seems to dry, stir in pasta cooking water 1 Tbsp. at a time until desired consistency.
5. Add salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese to taste.
Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy!
*update* I just wanted to add, sometimes I do include about a quarter cup of half n half if I have it. This addition doesn’t add too much calorie-wise, but it does make the dish even creamier and yummier. If you don’t have half n half, you could add more chicken broth or save a little bit of the pasta cooking water…
I saw anther version of this recipe where the cook added some diced sun-dried tomatoes. I may add some next time…