Easy Red Beans and Rice
Ready for a simple and frugal recipe? We made this one last week and it was yummy! Plus we had enough leftovers for a couple of lunches.
Red Beans and Rice (adapted from the back of the bean package)
- 8 oz smoked sausage sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder*
- 1 to 2 tsp Cajun Spice*
- 1 to 2 tsp ground cumin*
- Salt and pepper to taste*
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 16 oz bag of dried small red beans (you could use canned beans too)
* Just an estimate, adjust spices to your family’s taste
1. Prepare beans according to package.
2. Once beans are done, add sliced sausage, oil and onions to a large skillet and saute for about 2 minutes.
3. Add all the spices plus 1/4 cup of liquid from beans and continue to saute another 3 minutes. (If using canned beans use broth or water.)
4. Add +/- 5 cups of beans to the sausage mixture. (Add as much of the bean liquid as you like.)
5. Let everything simmer for about 10 minutes for the flavors to come together.
6. Add rice to a serving dish and spoon bean mixture over rice.
Don't miss any more posts!
Follow along on:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.