My grocery store had the prettiest display of flowers the other day and I just couldn’t resist adding a couple of bunches to my already overflowing cart. (At $4 a bunch, can you blame me?) I have a ton of glass jars and vases, and was trying to decide which ones to use and the best way to display them. I remembered I had a can of looking glass spray paint in my craft closet. (The spray paint was intended for faux mercury glass Christmas ornaments I never got around to making…)
I decided I wanted to use the looking glass paint on a couple of my glass vases (and a pickle jar) to make faux Mercury Glass vases. I had snapped this picture at a baby shower a while back, so I knew the Mercury Glass would be gorgeous with the pink flowers.
Would you like to try and make some of these vases? (Especially since quite a few of us will be getting the grocery store bouquet special for Mother’s Day tomorrow…)
You will love how simple the process is!
- looking glass paint
- vinegar in a spray bottle (I added vinegar to an old windex container.)
- glass vase or jar
- slightly dampened paper towel
1. Gather your supplies and cover your work area with a drop cloth (make sure you are in a well ventilated area)
2. Shake the looking glass paint very well and evenly coat the outside of the jar, one side/section at a time. Working very quickly, before the paint dries, spray the vinegar on the painted jar. Allow the paint to finish drying and gently blot off the vinegar with the damp paper towel.
3. Repeat step 2 all around the jar until completely covered. At this point, you may want a more opaque finish. It is fine to do another coat. This is the jar after one coat:
And the jar after another coat:
You can see the difference a little better when I hold them up to the sun.
This project took all of 5 minutes and the vases are just gorgeous!!!
You should definitely give this one a try.
Don’t miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin’, via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: