Need an afternoon pick-me-up? You will love this DIY Coconut Mocha Java Frappe. Made with Silk Coconut milk, chocolate syrup, coffee and my secret thickening ingredient, this frappe is the bomb!
I love coffee! What I don’t love is hot coffee in the warm months. (Even in the mornings.) Thanks to Silk Almond Milk for sponsoring this post!
In my never-ending quest to save money, I’ve perfected my cold brew coffee method and always try to have it on hand once the weather warms up. I’m also trying to break the habit of the late afternoon frozen drink run. (I’m rarely the one making this run, but when my hubby or other family member is out and about, they often call and ask if they can bring me a drink- and I never say no, lol!)
The drink I like, (Mocha Java Chip Frappuccino) has climbed up to the $5 range and is well over 400 calories. (and I wonder why my pants are tight, ha ha…) So I was determined to create a copycat Mocha Java Chip Frappuccino at home that will save me $ and calories.
YES, I totally succeeded!
THIS DIY FRAPPE IS SO GOOD!
For this drink, I experimented with different ratios and ingredients before I got it just right! It was good with almond milk, but once I tried the Silk coconut milk- it was totally the bomb! (I switched myself to Silk Almond Milk a few years ago and there are so many different varieties now, I rarely drink real milk anymore- except when it’s necessary for real whipped cream. )
An important ingredient for this coffee is the coffee concentrate. The coffee concentrate needs to be cold or at least room temp and there are a couple of ways to make it. (I have tried them all.)
- Brew a double strong batch of coffee using your coffee brewer (ahead of time) and placing it in the fridge.
- Use an instant coffee mix, designed to dissolve in cold water. (Usually labeled as instant iced coffee- just read the preparation label)
- Make cold brew coffee. (Done ahead of time – this method takes 12 hours to brew, but it is by far the tastiest.) I make my cold brew in a 64 oz pickle jar. The way I make it is to add 2 cups of ground coffee to the bottom of the pickle jar, then fill the jar with water. Screw the lid on tight and give the jar a shake. Let the coffee steep for on the counter for 12 hours and then strain out the grounds. (To strain the grounds, I put a coffee filter in a fine mesh sieve, place the sieve over a pitcher and pour the coffee into through filter.) This coffee will keep in the fridge for about a week and is delicious served over ice with a 1 to 1 ratio of almond milk and the concentrate. (Plus your favorite sweetener if desired.)
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Coconut Mocha Java Frappe (serves 2)
Need an afternoon pick-me-up? You’ll love this DIY Coconut Mocha Java Frappe. Made with Silk Coconut milk, chocolate syrup, coffee and my secret thickening ingredient, this frappe is the bomb!
- 1/2 cup of coffee concentrate
- 1/2 cup of Silk Coconut milk
- 1 banana
- 1 cup ice (depending on your blender strength- consider using crushed ice.)
- 2 tbs chocolate syrup (more or less depending on taste and whether you used the sweetened or unsweetened coconut milk)
- optional tbs shredded coconut (plus a tiny pinch to garnish the frappe)
- optional 1 tsp chopped dark chocolate (plus a tiny pinch to garnish the frappe)
- Toss everything in the blender and blend til smooth.
- Top with optional coconut and chocolate and enjoy!
Keywords: java coconut, coffee, frappe
Don't miss any more posts!
Follow along on:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!