I’ve got a new free pdf pattern for you today! A free basic legging pattern for girls, in sizes 3 to 12.
Ok, so this isn’t actually a brand new pattern – it’s an updated version of my previous legging pattern. I’ve added 2 new sizes (10 nd 12) and raised the rise a bit since we are now liking the rise just a bit higher. (I also added a bit of length to the bottom of a few sizes.)
Already have this pattern? Skip directly to the sewing instructions. (page 3.)
It’s the perfect season for leggings right now. Not too cold just yet and when the weather does finally turn, they’ll make a great layering piece!
I’ve sewn several pairs over the last week and my missy and I have had fun coming up with a few new outfits! (Pretty much all the other items shown in these pictures are from Crazy 8 or Gymboree. Except for the embroidered sweater, that’s from Land’s’ End.
We totally need a sweater in red as these striped leggings are perfect for the holiday season! (striped fabric found here.)
If you’ve never sewn leggings you should really give them a try. They are soo quick to make!! This particular pattern has only 2 seams and whether or not you choose to hem the bottom is up to you.
I’d like to chat a bit about fabric recommendations before moving on to the pattern download and sewing instructions. The fabric you choose will make a huge difference in how happy you’ll be with your results. Knit fabric comes in so many different weights, content and stretch. It is important to use the right fabric for this project. I’ve tried a few different fabrics and definitely have my favorites.
- You need to look for a knit fabric with at least 50% stretch and around 4% or more lycra/spandex for recovery.
- I love the cotton lycra from Funkalicious fabrics most of her 3/8″ Cotton Lycra Stripe Knit Fabric is pretty great.
- Kaufman Laguna knit is also good, but a bit thinner that the cotton lycra from Funkalicious
- Riley Blake Cotton Jersey has great stretch and recovery, is a nice weight and has a ton of cute designs
- I am sure there are other great fabric lines of great quality to choose from, but I have not personally tried them.