This Cheesy Green Chile, Chicken and Rice Casserole is a flavorful and hearty casserole that will definitely keep you warm and full in the upcoming winter months.
September is National Family Meal Month
Did you know September was National Family Meal Month? Family meals eaten at home have been proven to benefit the health and wellness of children and adolescents, fight obesity, substance abuse and to make families stronger.)
Who would say no to that?
To celebrate and give you one more easy and yummy meal option for your family’s meal, I’m sharing this Cheesy Green Chile, Chicken and Rice Casserole recipe with you today.
Cheesy Green Chile, Chicken and Rice Casserole
This hearty Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole will definitely keep you warm and full in the upcoming winter months. (Thanks to Hormel for partnering with me to bring you this post-all opinions are mine.)
My family loves just about anything made using green chiles as an ingredient. (I have several recipes featuring green chiles, you can check them out here ==>> green chile recipes.)
I personally prefer green chiles over jalapenos. I think their flavor is better and they are a less spicy. (Foods with too much spice just don’t go over well with the kids or me for that matter, lol.)
If you are someone who likes a bit of kick, definitely add in some diced jalapenos to crank the flavor up a notch.
I make a similar casserole (with just the rice) as a side dish to go with taco or enchiladas; but for this dish, I wanted to make it a complete meal. I doubled the recipe and added in a generous serving of diced chicken and make it into a dinner casserole.
Diced Rotisserie chicken is delicious in this recipe, but if you don’t have any Rotisserie chicken on hand, canned chicken will work in a pinch and I always keep a can of the Hormel® Premium Chicken in my pantry for last minute recipes just like this one.
This chicken and rice casserole is easy to make.
This Cheesy Green Chile Chicken and Rice Recipe is made with pre cooked chicken (like rotisserie or canned) and precooked rice. (I usually do minute rice in the microwave.) Pretty much all you are doing is sauteing your peppers and onions then tossing everything together and then baking in the oven.
I like recipes like this – once I put it in the oven, the 30 minute baking time is perfect for rounding up the kids and having “cleaning time”, lol! (Or maybe do a work out – although cleaning tends to be a pretty good work out for me.)
My favorite aspect of this Green Chile, Chicken and Rice Casserole dish, is that it covers all the bases: protein, carbs, fat and dairy. Just add a side salad and it’s a perfect well-rounded dinner.
Dare I say, it’s even better the next day as leftovers?
Do you have a family favorite casserole that can be put together in a flash? If so, share in the comments below!Don't miss any more posts! Follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 4 oz cans diced green chiles, drained well
- 10 oz diced, pre-cooked chicken
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Plenty of salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used a combo of white cheddar and pepper jack, but Monterey Jack is really good too.)
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. rub olive oil on the sides and bottom of a large casserole dish.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, saute onions and bell peppers with olive oil until they begin to brown. Set aside.
- Combine the rice, chicken, 1 1/2 cup of the cheese, green chilies, sour cream, cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper and onion mixture to the casserole dish and combine well. (Give the mixture a taste to make sure you have enough salt, pepper and cayenne.)
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk and egg. Add milk and egg to the rice mixture
- Top the casserole with remaining shredded cheese and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Serve with an extra dollop of sour cream and enjoy!
- Double the chicken for extra protein.
- Make sure to taste your mixture to confirm it has enough salt, pepper and cayenne.
- If you like lots of cheese, you can add more on top!
Still hungry? Be sure to check these recipes out: