This Cheesy Green Chile, Chicken and Rice Casserole is a flavorful and hearty casserole that will definitely keep you warm and full in the upcoming winter months.
Did you know September was National Family Meal Month? To celebrate and give you one more easy and yummy meal option, I’m sharing this Cheesy Green Chile, Chicken and Rice Casserole recipe with you! This spicy and hearty casserole will definitely keep you warm and full in the upcoming winter months. (Thank you to Hormel for partnering with me to bring you this post-all opinions are mine!)
My family loves just about anything made using green chiles as an ingredient. (I have several recipes featuring green chiles, you can check them out here ==>> green chile recipes.) I personally prefer them over jalapenos. I think the flavor is better and they are a bit less spicy. (I don’t care for foods with too much heat and neither do the kids, lol!)
I make a similar casserole (with just the rice) as a side dish to go with taco or enchiladas; but for this dish, I decided to double the recipe and add in a generous serving of diced chicken and make it into a dinner casserole.
Diced Rotisserie chicken is delicious in this recipe, but if you don’t have any Rotisserie chicken on hand, canned chicken will work in a pinch and I always keep a can of the Hormel® Premium Chicken in my pantry for last minute recipes just like this one
This dish is really easy to make. One of these recipes where you just toss everything together and put it in the oven to bake. I like recipes like this – once I put it in the oven that 3o minute baking time is perfect to round up the kids and have “cleaning time, lol!
The best part is, this dish covers all the bases: protein, carbs, fat and dairy. Just add a side salad and it’s a perfect well-rounded dinner. It’s even better the next day as leftovers.
Family meals eaten at home have been proven to benefit the health and wellness of children and adolescents, to fight obesity, substance abuse and to make families stronger – creating a positive impact on our communities and our nation as a whole. Find out more about Family Meals and what they can do for your family.
Do you have a family favorite casserole that can be put together in a flash? If so, share in the comments below!
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 4 oz cans diced green chiles, drained well
- 10 oz diced, pre-cooked chicken
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used a combo of white cheddar and pepper jack, but Monterey Jack is really good too.)
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. rub olive oil on the sides and bottom of a large casserole dish.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, saute onions and bell peppers with olive oil until they begin to brown. Set aside.
- Combine the rice, chicken, 1 1/2 cup of the cheese, green chilies, sour cream, cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper and onion mixture to the casserole dish and combine well. (Give the mixture a taste to make sure you have enough salt, pepper and cayenne.)
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk and egg. Add milk and egg to the rice mixture
- Top the casserole with remaining shredded cheese and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Serve with an extra dollop of sour cream and enjoy!
Double the chicken for extra protein.
If you like lots of cheese, you can add more on top!
Still hungry? Be sure to check these recipes out: