Did you know September was National Family Meal Month? To celebrate and give you one more easy and yummy meal option, I’m sharing this Cheesy Green Chile, Chicken and Rice Casserole recipe with you! This spicy and hearty casserole will definitely keep you warm and full in the upcoming winter months. (Thank you to Hormel for partnering with me to bring you this post-all opinions are mine!)
My family loves just about anything made using green chiles as an ingredient. (I have several recipes featuring green chiles, you can check them out here ==>> green chile recipes.) I personally prefer them over jalapenos. I think the flavor is better and they are a bit less spicy. (I don’t care for foods with too much heat and neither do the kids, lol!)
I make a similar casserole (with just the rice) as a side dish to go with taco or enchiladas; but for this dish, I decided to double the recipe and add in a generous serving of diced chicken and make it into a dinner casserole. I didn’t have any fresh chicken on hand, but luckily I always keep a can of the Hormel® Premium Chicken in my pantry for last minute recipe ideas.
One of the best things about this dish is that it is completely made with ingredients you probably keep on hand already, so it’s definitely one of those meals that can be put together at the last minute! For more easy recipes using the Hormel Premium Chicken, visit the Hormel Easy Recipe Ideas page.
Cheesy Green Chile, Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 4 oz cans diced green chiles, drained well
- 10 oz diced chicken (Hormel canned chicken or even rotisserie chicken. Double this if you like more protein in your casseroles.)
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used a combo of white cheddar and pepper jack)
- 4 cups cooked rice (when cooking the rice, I suggest cooking the shortest recommended amount of time, to keep rice from becoming mushy in the oven.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. rub olive oil on the sides and bottom of a large casserole dish.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, saute onions and bell peppers with olive oil until they begin to brown. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk and egg.
- Add the rice, chicken, cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper and onion mixture to the casserole dish and combine well. (Give the mixture a taste to make sure you have enough salt, pepper and cayenne.)
- Stir the milk mixture and 3/4 of the shredded cheese into the rice mixture.
- Top the casserole with remaining shredded cheese and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Family meals eaten at home have been proven to benefit the health and wellness of children and adolescents, to fight obesity, substance abuse and to make families stronger – creating a positive impact on our communities and our nation as a whole. Find out more about Family Meals and what they can do for your family.
Do you have a family favorite casserole that can be put together in a flash? If so, share in the comments below!
Still hungry? Be sure to check these recipes out:
Don’t miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin’, via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: