This Blueberry Cheesecake Surprise is an amazingly yummy layered treat, perfect for any occasion. Layers of cheesecake, blueberries, cool whip, (and surprise – bananas) over a graham cracker crust make this sweet treat the hit of any get-together!
Last year for Mother’s Day, hubby surprised me with a massage he had booked for me in advance. (Yep, this was last year, and I’m only writing this post up now – I’m a major procrastinator.) While I was having a bit of peace and quiet at the spa, he took the kids with him to a potluck brunch at his niece’s house.
Hubby was assigned to bring a dessert to share at the meal. Neither one of us wanted to cook anything, so I suggested he purchase a sour cream bundt cake from the deli section at our local grocery store. (They are soo good, you just can’t go wrong with one of those cakes!)
After we were all back home, I asked him about the potluck: what everyone brought, what did the kids eat, was our dessert good, did everyone eat it, which dessert was the best, etc… (Ok, so I was actually hinting around to find out if he had brought any back for me lol.)
He said his sister’s mother in law had brought an amazing blueberry dessert and was the hit of the party. The dessert was called Blueberry Surprise.
I quizzed him about the dessert, but of course, he couldn’t remember anything about it, just that it was really good. I asked if it was better than my Blueberry Dump Cake? (How can that be?) He told me, “Not better- just different.” (Good save, Honey.)
So after all that build-up, of course, I had to get the recipe and try it myself.
And he was right, it was amazing.
This dessert is one of those potluck dessert recipes that Grandma would make for the family reunion. If you make this dessert, I promise there will never be any leftovers!
I was told the recipe was called Blueberry Suprise, (surprise being the bananas, I guess) although when I received the recipe card, it was titled Blueberry Delite. I googled around a bit but didn’t find a definitive answer on the recipe title. I’d love to know though, have you ever made this recipe and what did your family call it? (For now, I’m going with Blueberry Cheesecake Surprise – after all, there are blueberries, cheesecake, and a surprise!)
Blueberry Cheesecake Surprise: layers of cheesecake, blueberries, cool whip, (and surprise – bananas) over a graham cracker crust makes this sweet treat the hit of any get-together!
- 2.5 cups crushed graham crackers (about 48 squares)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- One can blueberry pie filling
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- One stick of butter
- One block of cream cheese (8 0z room temp)
- 1 to 2 containers of cool whip
- Two bananas (sliced)
- optional: 1/4 cup pecans (chopped) and/or fresh blueberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine graham crackers and sugar. Add melted butter and stir with a fork til well mixed. Press mixture into greased 13 by 9 pan.
- Beat cream cheese, add in sugar, butter, and eggs, mixing til thoroughly combined.
- Pour cream cheese mixture over crust and bake until done and browning at edges (about 20 to 25 minutes.) Let cool.
- Layer sliced bananas over cooled cheesecake. Top with a generous layer of cool whip.
- Gently spread blueberry pie filling over cool whip layer
- Top blueberries with a second layer of cool whip.
- Garnish with optional pecans and fresh blueberries
- Chill till ready to serve.