This delicious Blueberry Dump Cake Recipe is made with only 5 ingredients and is the most amazing buttery, decadent blueberry dessert ever! Once you make this easy one-pan dessert, you’ll understand (and hopefully agree with) my claim of “the Best Blueberry Dump Cake ever!”
The recipe is a hit at EVERY event I take it and needs to go on your “must-make” list.
The Best Blueberry Dump Cake Recipe
We had a family gathering at our house this weekend for the fourth of July. It was a super busy day, packed with activities. Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream was on the menu for our dessert, but by the time we needed to get the ice cream going, everyone was too tired to go to the trouble of making ice cream from scratch!
Luckily, I’d already bought the ingredients for a blueberry dump cake last month and just hadn’t gotten around to making it. I love dump cakes, so easy to make and based on the leftovers (no leftovers, lol) I am positive everyone loved this easy dessert as much as I do!
Look at all those blueberries! And that buttery, delicious cake!
Doesn’t it look amazing? (If you’re a Blueberry fan too, I have a handful of amazing blueberry desserts here to check out.)
What Exactly is a Dump Cake Anyway?
The basic concept of a dump cake is, as a time-saving recipe, you “dump” a few ingredients into a baking or casserole dish, bake it in the oven and the ingredients transform into a scrumptious dessert.
A dump cake can be made with a variety of ingredients, but most recipes are made with a boxed cake mix and some sort of pie filling, plus butter.
I make a cherry dump cake all the time, and it’s delicious too, but I’ve decided I like the blueberry version best. (The cherry version is made the same way as this blueberry dump cake, but with cherry pie filling instead of blueberry.) I have also made an easy peach cobbler dump cake as well, yum!
If you’ve never had a dump cake before, you’re really in for a treat! They’re super simple to make with hardly any prep time. The combination of the cake mix, butter, and fruit pie filling makes the cake decadent and delicious.
Blueberry Dump Cake Ingredients + Tips
(Ingredients at a glance, grab the full printable ingredient list w/ amounts and recipe instructions at the bottom of the post.)
- Box of yellow cake mix | Any brand, as long as it is yellow cake.
- Canned blueberry pie filling | My favorite is the Lucky Leaf Organic Blueberry Pie filling, but any blueberry pie filling will work, including homemade.
- Can of crushed pineapple | Yes, you can leave this out, but the acidity of the pineapple really adds to the dessert.
- Fresh blueberries | For that extra pop of blueberries on the top of the cake.
- Butter | Salted.
- Optional | Shredded sweetened coconut – If you don’t like coconut, you can leave it out.
How to Make a Blueberry Dump Cake
I’m not kidding when I say this amazing blueberry cake really is just dumping a few ingredients together in a pan and baking. The assembly takes all of 5 MINUTES!
- Spread the blueberry pie filling on the bottom of your cake pan, and top with the crushed pineapple and a handful of fresh blueberries. Evenly sprinkle the dry cake mix over the top of the fruit.
- Thinly slice the butter sticks and place the sliced butter pieces over the dry cake mix.
- Sprinkle the rest of the fresh blueberries on top of the cake mix.
- Bake at 375 F for 40 to 45 minutes.
- In the past, I’ve recommended melting the butter first and pouring it over the cake mix, but for superior results and better “butter coverage,” I now recommend slicing the butter and covering the cake mix, as shown in the photo above. The sliced butter technique just makes the dump cake turn out that much better! (No dry spots or cake powder.)
- I recommend serving this dump cake warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Something about the creamy sweet vanilla flavor that complements the blueberries and buttery cake topping perfectly!
Can I Use Frozen Blueberries In This Dump Cake Recipe?
This recipe is made using blueberry pie filling (that’s part of why it is so easy – you just dump the blueberry pie filling into the baking dish.) The pie filling is already sweetened. I do not recommend replacing the pie filling with frozen blueberries unless you add enough sugar to make the frozen blueberries as sweet as pie filling.
You definitely can use frozen blueberries in place of the extra fresh blueberries sprinkled on top. (You can also just leave out the extra blueberries as the ones sprinkled on top are more for presentation than flavor.)
Can This Dump Cake Be Frozen?
Yes, if you have any leftovers, they can be frozen.
You have two choices, freeze the entire cake or separate it into individual servings. If freezing the entire dump cake, I recommend defrosting the frozen dump cake in the refrigerator and then reheating the individual servings in the microwave. If you freeze individual servings, you can defrost them in the microwave at 50% power.
How Do I Store This Blueberry Dump Cake?
You can refrigerate the dump cake. It is also ok to cover with foil or plastic wrap and keep at room temperature for up to up to 24 hours. After that, I recommend putting it in the fridge or freezer.
What Blueberry Pie Filling Is Best For This Dump Cake Recipe?
Update! (5/2019) I made this dump cake three times in the last month for various events. (FYI, It was devoured each time!)
One thing to note when it comes to the blueberry pie filling… I had sent my hubby to the store for the ingredients. He wasn’t sure which blueberry pie filling to get me, so he bought a couple of different brands (including the Walmart store brand.) You couldn’t ask for a better way to taste test blueberry pie filling, lol.
The winner? The Lucky Leaf Organic Blueberry Pie filling was the hands-down winner for taste. (It looks like this, and you can find it at almost all retailers.)
Still wondering if this Blueberry Dump Cake Recipe is right for your event?
Here are just a few of the reviews posted over on Pinterest that might convince you:
Are these pictures making you drool just a little? I won’t keep you in suspense for the recipe any longer…
Items used and recommended in this post:
- Blueberry Pie Filling and Topping
- Yellow Cake Mix
- Pyrex Basics Glass Baking Dishes
- 17-Inch Terry Cloth Oven Mitt (Heat Resistant to 600° F)
- Spoon-Shaped Spatula
- CorningWare Bakeware Set, White
Pin this Blueberry Dump Cake Recipe here:
Let us know what you think!Print
This delicious Blueberry Dump Cake Recipe is made with only 5 ingredients and is the most amazing buttery, decadent blueberry dessert ever! Sweet Blueberry pie filling topped with a crunchy buttery cake topping, severd with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. What’s not to love?
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1 21 oz can of blueberry pie filling
- 1 large (20 oz) can of crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut (optional)
- 1.5 sticks of butter (use as much needed to cover the cake)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spread the can of blueberry pie filling at the bottom of a 9.5 x 13 cake pan/pyrex dish (or similar size-but no bigger.)
- Spread crushed pineapple over pie filling and top with shredded coconut and 3/4 of the fresh blueberries.
- Evenly sprinkle the dry cake mix over the top of the fruit.
- Thinly slice the butter sticks and place the sliced butter pieces over the dry cake mix. (you can melt the butter and drizzle it too, but I have found the results are best by slicing the butter.)
- Sprinkle the rest of the fresh blueberries on top of the cake mix.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the cake topping is golden brown.
Check out the video below to see how easy this cake is to make!
Nutrition calculated on 12 servings, no ice cream.
- Serving Size: 1/12 cake
- Calories: 368
- Sugar: 44
- Fat: 12
- Carbohydrates: 63
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 2
Keywords: dump cake recipe, blueberry dump cake, best blueberry dump cake