Cooler weather is finally here and I have a new free pattern to share today! This free Girls Faux Shearling Vest Pattern is ridiculously easy to sew (2 pattern pieces, 3 seams, and no hemming) and is a perfect layering piece to add to your little one’s wardrobe.
Free Girls Faux Shearling Vest Pattern size 3 to 10
I’m so excited to share this free vest pattern with you! This is a project that you should be able to complete in about 30 minutes. The vest really turns out great -just like something you would buy at the store. (My daughter is thrilled with hers).
This pattern is designed with faux shearling fabric in mind. Faux shearling fabric (also called bonded sherpa) cuts wonderfully (if you don’t mind a bit of fur floating around that is, lol) and does not need to be hemmed.
I found my fabric at Walmart, and I saw the same fabric at Hobby Lobby last week (they had different colors to choose from too, though this was the only one I could find on-line – don’t forget your coupon ) and there are tons of varieties online too. I found a great selection on Etsy. Fabric.com has something similar called suede cuddle.
Already downloaded this pattern?
Skip straight to the sewing instructions here.
Fabric Variations for the Faux Shearling Vest Pattern
*You could sew this vest in a fun heavyweight knit. Something that drapes nicely, looks good on both sides and wouldn’t need to be hemmed.
*You could also make a reversible vest with 2 different fabrics. Making a reversible vest with no visible seams is a bit tricky – if you don’t already know how to make a reversible vest, you would need to search for a tutorial on how to make one. I do not currently have a reversible vest tutorial, but I am adding one to my to-do list. Keep in mind, you’ll need to add a seam allowance around the edges if you make it reversible with no seams.
*Another option for reversible vest would be to add binding around the edges and armholes. You would not need to add a seam allowance in this case.
We went out back to snap these pictures, and our sweet Callie-kitty tagged along as usual. (she is 19 yrs old, btw.) She was desperate for a few pets and since we were not paying her enough attention, she was “self-petting” by jumping up on her back legs and trying to rub her chin on my missy’s hand. It was so funny to watch, I managed to get a few different shots of her doing this.
Shearling Vest Pattern Notes:
*You will be amazed at how easy this Girls Faux Shearling Vest Pattern is to sew. It is only 2 pattern pieces and 3 seams, plus no hemming. It’s a perfect layering piece to add to your little one’s wardrobe.
*The lapel on this vest is designed to just lay open so you are able to reverse the vest if you like. You could also tack it down if desired.
*Sizes included are girls size 3 to 10
*3/8 inch seam allowance included. No hem allowance as the pattern is designed to be unhemmed.
*You will find a video tutorial on the sewing instructions page.
Fabric tip: the faux fur is a bit messy to work with. After sewing, I removed what I could with my hands and then tossed the vest into the dryer to let the lint trap catch the rest.
Materials needed to Make the Girls Faux Shearling Vest
- fabric (up to 3/4 yard faux shearling or other 44 inch fabric)
- basic sewing supplies
Products used and Recommended:
- My favorite fabric shop for knits: Fabric.com, Funkalicious Fabrics and Girl Charlee.
- My favorite online retailers for quilting cotton and other apparel fabric: Fabric.com and Etsy
- My Sewing Machine: SINGER 9960 Quantum Stylist, my coverstitch: Janome Cover Pro 1000cpx
- My Serger: Brother 1034D 3 or 4 Thread Serger or you can just use Pinking Shears
- All purpose/universal 90/14 needle
- Rotary Cutter
- I love my large ruler and large cutting mat, but you may prefer to start off with a smaller Cutting set
- Dritz Dual Purpose Marking Pen and Fray Check
- Wonder clips (I didn’t use these in the post, but they are just awesome!
Fabric recommended to make a shearling vest:
- Double-sided faux shearling (also called bonded sherpa),
- Medium to heavyweight knit that has good drape and looks good on both sides.
Shearling Vest Pattern Fit Guide:
- Size 3: Height- 38.5 inches, Weight- 32 lbs,
- Size 4: Height- 41.5 inches, Weight- 36 lbs,
- Size 5: Height- 44.5 inches, Weight- 42 lbs,
- Size 6: Height- 46.5 inches, Weight- 48 lbs,
- Size 7: Height- 51 inches, Weight- 60 lbs,
- Size 8: Height- 53 inches, Weight- 66 lbs,
- Size 10: Height- 55 inches, Weight- 74 lbs
Ready to sew a vest for your missy?
Download the pattern here.
Find the Sewing instructions here.
How do I get the vest pattern?
To receive the free pattern, visit the pattern page in my shop HERE. <<== click that link
Add the pattern to your cart and navigate through the checkout process. (Don’t worry, this pattern is free, no payment info is asked for.) After the check out process is complete you will see a button prompting you to download the pattern. You will also find the link directing you to the page where the pattern sewing instructions are stored.
As long as you entered your email correctly, you will also receive an email with a link that downloads the pattern and directs you to the sewing instructions.
Don't miss any more posts!
Follow along on:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!