Girls Faux Shearling Vest Sewing instructions:
- fabric (up to 3/4 yard faux shearling or other 44 inch fabric)
- basic sewing supplies
Products used and Recommended:
- My favorite fabric shop for knits: Fabric.com, Funkalicious Fabrics and Girl Charlee.
- My favorite online retailers for quilting cotton and other apparel fabric: Fabric.com and Etsy
- My Sewing Machine: SINGER 9960 Quantum Stylist, my coverstitch: Janome Cover Pro 1000cpx
- My Serger: Brother 1034D 3 or 4 Thread Serger or you can just use Pinking Shears
- All purpose/universal 90/14 needle
- Rotary Cutter
- I love my large ruler and large cutting mat, but you may prefer to start off with a smaller Cutting set
- Dritz Dual Purpose Marking Pen and Fray Check
- Wonder clips (I didn’t use these in the post, but they are just awesome!
- 3/8 inch seam allowance
- no hem allowance
- Double sided faux shearling (also called bonded sherpa),
- Medium to heavyweight knit that has good drape and looks good on both sides.
- Size 3: Height- 38.5 inches, Weight- 32 lbs,
- Size 4: Height- 41.5 inches, Weight- 36 lbs,
- Size 5: Height- 44.5 inches, Weight- 42 lbs,
- Size 6: Height- 46.5 inches, Weight- 48 lbs,
- Size 7: Height- 51 inches, Weight- 60 lbs,
- Size 8: Height- 53 inches, Weight- 66 lbs,
- Size 10: Height- 55 inches, Weight- 74 lbs
Like video tutorials? Check this one out:
Step 1: Assembling pattern and cutting out pattern pieces.
Trim the pattern pieces around the gray boxes, line up the A, B, C and D dots. Tape pattern together and cut out the size needed.
Fold fabric in half and cut out 2 front pieces. Cut out 1 back piece.
Step 2: Sew the vest.
Right sides together, line up the shoulder seams and side seams. Sew using a 3/8 inch seam allowance.
Trim shoulder and side seams to 1/8 inch. Fold seam to one side and topstitch with a decorative/faux coverstitch type stitch.
Tip: If your fabric is different colors on the front/back, use two different colored threads to match the top and bottom fabric.
That’s it, you’re done!
As always, if you sew something from one of my tutorials or patterns I would love to see it! Be sure to come back and share a photo on my facebook page or tag me on Instagram @scatteredmom, with #scatteredmompatterns!