I don’t know if it’s because of what part of the country we’re in or what, but here in Austin, you’ll find queso at practically every gathering! (And if it’s not on the menu, you know our family will be the one to bring it!!) All it takes is one can of Rotel tomatoes to every 16 oz of Velveeta and a bag of your favorite tortilla chips for the best dip ever! (Velveeta even makes queso blanco now too.)
Pin for later here ==>>
Today, I’m sharing my favorite way to jazz up our queso into something extra special and oh-so yummy with this Spicy Green Chile Queso recipe. (I say spicy, because the green sauce can be pretty spicy.)
Looks so good doesn’t it? The Green Chile Queso got rave reviews from the family at our post holiday get together and I’ll definitely be making it again for the Superbowl. Because who can watch football without chips and queso? ( Especially now that the Cowboys are out!)
Green Chile Queso
- 16 oz Velveeta, cut into small pieces
- 12 oz jar of your favorite green sauce/salsa (not chunky) (This brand is my hubby’s fave right now, but if you need a milder green salsa, Herdez make a good mild version.)
- 1 16 oz pkg.fresh Pico de Gallo
- about a cup of pre cooked ground beef (optional)
- This recipe can be made in the microwave, stovetop or slow cooker.
- Reserve a small amount of the pico and green sauce for garnish, and toss all the ingredients into the cooking dish.
- Cook on low or medium low, stirring frequently or until the cheese is completely melted.
- If your queso is a bit too thick, it can be thinned with a small amount of milk or cream. (Add milk a tablespoon or two at a time stirring until completely incorporated and desired thickness is achieved.)
- Make sure not to melt cheese on too high of heat (especially in the microwave- if the cheese gets too hot it will separate.)
Don’t miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin’, via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below:
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.