St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner and I’ve got the perfect themed food to celebrate the holiday! These Green Eggs and Ham Mini Frittatas are just perfect for breakfast, lunches and even dinner. The kids will love these and they’ll definitely get everyone in the St. Patrick’s Day spirit.
My kids eating preferences could not be more different- my daughter will eat almost anything. She loves most veggies, devours spicy food and frequently gets a salad for lunch at the school cafeteria. My son, on the other hand, will only eat a few select vegetables, doesn’t like his food too spicy and I have a very difficult time getting him to eat casserole-style dishes. (And you can especially forget him eating a casserole if he spots a single green veggie in it.)
So yes, I’ve been known to puree and add different veggies in my recipes. (I’ve got a great roundup of hidden veggie recipes here.)
The best thing about this Mini Frittata recipe is that gorgeous green color is completely natural! Absolutely no food coloring.
Ready to guess the secret ingredient? (If you haven’t already…)
To get the bright green color, you just puree 2 cups of fresh baby spinach with the eggs in a blender or food processor. My kids never knew it was spinach that turned the eggs green because the Frittatas certainly didn’t taste like spinach. (Have you ever noticed that some spinach has a very strong flavor and other spinach doesn’t? To me, I’ve found that fresh, organic baby spinach, stems removed, often tastes the best.)
These Mini Frittatas make a great breakfast, lunch or dinner and leftovers pack especially well into school lunches!
Green Eggs and Ham Mini Frittatas
- 10 Eggs
- 2 cups Baby Spinach, stems removed
- 1/4 cup Cream or Half n Half
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup diced ham
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place eggs and spinach in a blender or food processor, process until spinach is pureed. Add baking powder, salt, pepper and cream, process til combined.
- Thoroughly grease a 12 cup muffin pan. (and if you don’t like scrubbing your muffin tin, you might consider using foil liners.)
- Evenly divide the onion, mushroom and ham among the 12 cups of the muffin pan.
- Pour the egg mixture into the cups. (Fill them pretty full, the eggs will puff up when baking, but will deflate a bit.)
- Sprinkle with cheese. (A lot or a little- however much cheese you like.)
- Bake about 15 minutes or until the eggs are set.
Enjoy your green eggs and ham!
Products used and recommended in this post:
- Muffin tin
- Food Processor
- My Blender: Vitamix 5200 2 HP motor (This is an Amazon link, though I bought mine when it was the QVC deal of the day on 6 easy pays)
- Nutri Ninja (I have this one too- it works great)
- Mixing bowls w/ lids (having a lid is so handy!)
- Silpat Mat (didn’t use this today- but every baker needs one!)
Looking for more egg dishes? You might also enjoy these:
Don’t miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin’, via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: