St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner and I’ve got the perfect themed food to celebrate the holiday! This Green Eggs and Ham recipe makes the perfect little Mini Frittatas for kids and are great for breakfast, lunches, and even dinner.
The kids will love these and they’ll definitely get everyone in the St. Patrick’s Day spirit and of course are the perfect recipe for Dr. Seuss Day!
Green Eggs and Ham Recipes (Mini Frittatas)
(I originally shared this post over at the Snap blog last year, but wanted to reshare it with you here, in case you missed it.)
My kids eating preferences could not be more different- my daughter will eat almost anything. She loves most veggies, devours spicy food, and frequently gets a salad for lunch at the school cafeteria. My son, on the other hand, will only eat a few select vegetables, doesn’t like his food too spicy and I have a very difficult time getting him to eat casserole-style dishes. (And you can especially forget him eating a casserole if he spots a single green veggie in it.)
So yes, I’ve been known to puree and add different veggies to my recipes. (I’ve got a great roundup of hidden veggie recipes here.)
The best thing about this green eggs and ham mini frittata recipe is that gorgeous green color is completely natural! Absolutely no food coloring.
Ready to guess the secret ingredient? (If you haven’t already…)
To get the bright green color, you just puree 2 cups of fresh baby spinach with the eggs in a blender or food processor. My kids never knew it was spinach that turned the eggs green because the Frittatas certainly didn’t taste like spinach. (Have you ever noticed that some spinach has a very strong flavor and other spinach doesn’t? To me, I’ve found that fresh, organic baby spinach, stems removed, often tastes the best.)
These Green eggs and Ham Mini Frittatas make a great breakfast, lunch, or dinner and leftovers pack especially well into school lunches!
Products used and recommended in this post:
- Muffin tin
- Food Processor
- My Blender: Vitamix 5200 2 HP motor (This is an Amazon link, though I bought mine when it was the QVC deal of the day on 6 easy pays)
- Nutri Ninja (I have this one too- it works great)
- Mixing bowls w/ lids (having a lid is so handy!)
- Silpat Mat (didn’t use this today- but every baker needs one!)
Tried This Recipe?Print
These Green eggs and Ham Mini Frittatas make a great breakfast, lunch or dinner and leftovers pack especially well into school lunches!
- 10 Eggs
- 2 cups Baby Spinach, stems removed
- 1/4 cup Cream or Half n Half
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup diced ham
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place eggs and spinach in a blender or food processor, process until spinach is pureed. Add baking powder, salt, pepper and cream, process til combined.
- Thoroughly grease a 12 cup muffin pan. (and if you don’t like scrubbing your muffin tin, you might consider using foil liners.)
- Evenly divide the onion, mushroom and ham among the 12 cups of the muffin pan.
- Pour the egg mixture into the cups. (Fill them pretty full, the eggs will puff up when baking, but will deflate a bit.)
- Sprinkle with cheese. (A lot or a little- however much cheese you like.)
- Bake about 15 minutes or until the eggs are set.
Enjoy your green eggs and ham!
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin it here:
Looking for more egg dishes? You might also enjoy these:
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.