Did you know April is National Grilled Cheese month? What better way to celebrate this simple and delicious comfort food, than with a supercharged version! This Grilled Cheese with Avocado and Tomato is definitely over the top yummy!
Growing up, grilled cheese sandwiches were a menu staple in our house. For something made with just three basic ingredients, this dinnertime staple could not be any tastier. There’s just something about warm melted cheese on buttery, crispy toasted bread that just can’t be beat.
Ok, so technically I was inspired to add avocado to the grilled cheese because we had a big bag of avocados that needed to be eaten fairly soon. I originally planned to add slices of avocado to the sandwich, but when I cut into the avocado; it’s perfect creamy ripeness was practically begged to be mashed.
I skipped my normal addition of chunky salsa to the avocado and opted to to lightly season the avocado with a few shakes of the salt and pepper. (After my all my “tasting” to get the salt and pepper right, we were lucky there was still enough left for our sandwiches. Oops!)
Grilled Cheese with Avocado and Tomato
Celebrate national grilled cheese month with this Grilled Cheese with Avocado and Tomato.
- 1 large avocado
- salt and pepper
- softened butter
- 8 slices of bread (sourdough, multigrain, white-your choice-)
- 2 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced with seeds removed (Removing the seedy parts will keep the tomato from getting to watery)
- 4 slices cheese (Provolone, havarti, white cheddar- your choice)
- Mash avocado, season with salt and pepper to taste. (If you like it spicy, add a dash or two of your fave hot sauce.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat.
- Butter one side of each bread. Add avocado to the non buttered side. Place bread in skillet butter side down.
- Layer tomato and cheese over avocado and top with remaining bread, butter side up.
- Reduce heat to medium low if necessary.
- Use spatula to check bottom for doneness. (toasted and golden brown.)
- Flip sandwich, pressing a bit with the spatula to help melt and spread the cheese. Continue toasting until second side is golden brown.
You might also like (click the images to go to the recipe:)
Easy Tomato Galette
Simple Waldorf Salad
Microwave Potato Chips
BLT PinwheelsDon't miss any more posts! Follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!