Did you know April is National Grilled Cheese month? What better way to celebrate this simple and delicious comfort food, than with a supercharged version! This Grilled Cheese with Avocado and Tomato is definitely over the top yummy!
Growing up, grilled cheese sandwiches were a menu staple in our house. For something made with just three basic ingredients, this dinnertime staple could not be any tastier.
There’s just something about warm melted cheese on buttery, crispy toasted bread that just can’t be beat.
Ok, so technically I was inspired to add avocado to the grilled cheese because we had a big bag of avocados that needed to be eaten fairly soon. I originally planned to add slices of avocado to the sandwich, but when I cut into the avocado; it’s perfect creamy ripeness was practically begged to be mashed.
I skipped my normal addition of chunky salsa to the avocado and opted to to lightly season the avocado with a few shakes of the salt and pepper. (After my all my “tasting” to get the salt and pepper right, we were lucky there was still enough left for our sandwiches. Oops!)
The secret to a perfect grilled cheese is:
1. Choosing a cheese that melts well- such as Gruyère, provolone, american, cheddar or swiss. (I went with provolone.)
2. Use plenty of softened butter for the outside of the bread. (And I mean plenty! Spread it all the way to the edges and make sure the butter is soft enough. Nothing worse than trying to spread too cold butter on piece of soft bread!)
3. Choose a hearty bread, that’s not sliced too thick. (Too thick and the cheese doesn’t melt!)
4. Cook over a medium low heat so the cheese has time to melt before the bread burns.
Grilled Cheese with Avocado and Tomato
Celebrate national grilled cheese month with this Grilled Cheese with Avocado and Tomato.
- 1 large avocado
- salt and pepper
- softened butter
- 8 slices of bread (sourdough, multigrain, white-your choice-)
- 2 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced with seeds removed (Removing the seedy parts will keep the tomato from getting to watery)
- 4 slices cheese (Provolone, havarti, white cheddar- your choice)
- Mash avocado, season with salt and pepper to taste. (If you like it spicy, add a dash or two of your fave hot sauce.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat.
- Butter one side of each bread. Add avocado to the non buttered side. Place bread in skillet butter side down.
- Layer tomato and cheese over avocado and top with remaining bread, butter side up.
- Reduce heat to medium low if necessary.
- Use spatula to check bottom for doneness. (toasted and golden brown.)
- Flip sandwich, pressing a bit with the spatula to help melt and spread the cheese. Continue toasting until second side is golden brown.
You might also like (click the images to go to the recipe:)
Easy Tomato Galette
Simple Waldorf Salad
Microwave Potato Chips
Don't miss any more posts!
Follow along on:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.