Yes, I’ve Saved the best for last…This frozen Key Lime Pie Ice Cream Recipe is for all the key lime pie lovers out there. It’s decadent. Rich. Creamy. Sweet yet tart; exactly what you would expect from an amazing key lime pie except in ice cream form!
Enjoy and don’t forget to enter my giveaway for a Cuisinart Ice Cream Machine at the bottom of the post.
Welcome to Day 5 of Ice Cream Week! (THE LAST DAY!)
I’m sharing a new ice cream recipe every day this week and giving away a brand new ice cream maker to one lucky reader! Make sure to check out yesterday’s recipe, Coconut Sorbet! (giveaway form at the bottom of the post.)
Delicious Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
Do you have a key lime pie lover in the house? Maybe somebody who’s been working hard in the yard in 100ﾟweather and deserves a special treat?
Or maybe it’s just the middle of the week and everyone needs a little pick me up to help make it to the weekend. If so, you’ve got to make this frozen key lime pie ice cream! It’s absolutely delicious and tastes exactly like key lime pie but in ice cream form.
And who says that your ice cream shouldn’t taste like pie or vice-versa?!
I just want you all to know that I saved the best ice cream recipe from Ice Cream Week for last. (At least, my hubby and I think so!)
This frozen key lime pie ice cream recipe is a rich and dense ice cream and tastes just like a frozen version of key lime pie.
This Key Lime Pie Ice Cream is almost too good to be true. It’s like combining the taste of summer with sweet and having a truly tasty celebration inside your mouth. And with only 4 ingredients, this is yet another homemade ice cream dish that is certain to wow your family and friends.
How to Make Key Lime Ice Cream in the Ice Cream Maker
This is where this recipe is so simple. All you do is combine the ingredients and add them to your ice cream maker and follow the directions according to your ice cream maker.
This recipe does contain eggs so you will need to heat the ice cream base first and then chill before processing.
That’s it, you’ll have some amazing key lime ice cream in no time!
Can I Make Key Lime Ice Cream Without an Ice Cream Maker?
You definitely can, but the recipe is slightly different. The reason this particular ice cream recipe is so good is that it tastes EXACTLY like Key lime pie! (Note the 6 egg yolks, part of why it is so good.)
To make this homemade ice cream without an ice cream maker. You will:
- Eliminate the eggs and increase the cream to 2 cups
- Whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside in the fridge
- Combine the sweetened condensed milk with the lime juice. Gently fold and heavy cream into the condensed milk mixture until completely combined
- Sprinkle in the graham crackers, add the mixture to the pan and freeze until firm. (about 6 to 10 hours)
How Long Will Homemade Ice Cream Last?
Since homemade ice cream does not have any stabilizers or preservatives added, it doesn’t hold up that long in the freezer. Maybe 2 weeks in a regular container and up to two months in an airtight container like this one. (I do have and like this container, however homemade ice cream never lasts more than a day or two at our house.)
Lime Ice Cream Variations:
Lime Daiquiri: Add 1/2 cup rum to the mixture before freezing.
Margarita ice cream: add 1/4 cup tequila and 1/4 cup grand mariner (or other orange liqueur) to the mixture before freezing.
Lime coconut: Replace cream with coconut milk.
Pin this recipe for later here:
Ready to make this ice cream?
This frozen Key Lime Pie Ice Cream Recipe is for all the key lime pie lovers out there. It’s decadent. Rich. Creamy. Sweet yet tart; exactly what you would expect from an amazing key lime pie except in ice cream form!
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 14 to 15 oz
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- 1 cup crumbled Graham Crackers
- Heat the cream in a saucepan to a simmer.
- Slowly beat the hot cream into the egg yolks.
- Pour the mixture back into the sauce pan and continue cooking, stirring constantly until the custard thickens and will coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat.
- Optional: If you spot any lump in your mixture, you can strain it through a fine mesh sieve. (I did not have any egg lumps so I skipped this step.)
- Stir Sweetened condensed milk and key lime juice into the custard mixture/ key lime base.
- Chill mixture in fridge until completely cool.
- Process according to ice cream makers directions. At the end of the processing time add in a 1/2 cup (or more) of crumbled graham crackers.
- Serve immediately or place in the freezer for a few hours to firm up
Ice cream will be dense, so process in the ice maker as long as you can to allow for more air to be incorporated.
Keywords: key lim, lime, ice cream