This Homemade Coconut Sorbet recipe is so flavorful and simple to make. And with only three ingredients, you can be certain that it’s not going to take you long at all to create!
You’ll love the way this sorbet just melts on the tip of your tongue.
Welcome to Day 4 of Ice Cream Week!
I’m sharing a new ice cream recipe every day this week and giving away a brand new ice cream maker to one lucky reader! today’s recipe is this amazing and so easy to make Coconut Sorbet Recipe! Don’t forget to enter the giveaway at the bottom of the post and definitely don’t miss yesterday’s recipe, Homemade Banana Ice Cream!
Easy Coconut Sorbet In the Ice Cream Maker
I am a fan of all things coconut!
And I definitely love this coconut sorbet.
Once I had the first taste, I was reminded of a coconut ice cream I once had while on vacation in Cancun. (I think I need to go back and try it again…ya know, for taste-test purposes!) You’ll love this coconut sorbet too, it’s light, sweet, coconutty, and tastes like summer.
And while I wouldn’t go as far as calling it “coconut ice cream”, it does have a lot of the same characteristics and taste.
What is the Difference Between Sorbet and Ice Cream?
The main difference between the two is the ingredients.
Sorbet is usually made with water, sugar, and fruit (as in my Mango sorbet recipe) while ice cream is usually made with milk or cream, plus sugar and fruit. Therefore, Ice Cream is more “creamy” and sorbet is more “icy”.
However, this recipe kinda falls in the middle because it has coconut milk and coconut water. So it’s more creamy than a sorbet (especially with the added coconut cream from the 2nd can of coconut milk) but it’s not a true coconut ice cream because there is no dairy.
More Ice Cream Recipes to Enjoy:
- Buttered Pecan Ice Cream
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Orange Sherbet
- No Cook Vanilla Ice Cream
- Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
- Peach Ice Cream
Ingredients in Coconut Sorbet + Tips
Want to try this recipe? These are the ingredients to add to your shopping list. (At a glance, full printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.)
- No sugar added coconut water | The Zico brand is my very favorite. Do not use a flavored water like Bai Coconut water, it is not real coconut water. (Plus it has 55mg of caffeine in one bottle!!!)
- 2 cans of coconut milk | One can should be at room temp, so you can shake it up to blend the water and cream and the other can should be chilled so you will be able to spoon out the “coconut cream” and leave behind the excess water.
- Sugar | Granulated
- optional: sweetened shredded coconut and/or sliced almonds
How to Make Coconut Sorbet
- Combine the sugar and the coconut water in a saucepan over med heat until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Add 1 can of coconut milk to the mixture and carefully spoon “coconut cream” from the chilled can of coconut into the mixture. This addition of the extra coconut cream is what makes this coconut sorbet extra creamy.
- Stir til ingredients are thoroughly combined and place in the fridge until chilled.
- Add coconut mixture to your ice cream machine and process according to the machine’s instructions.
- At the end of processing, add optional add-ins to the machine.
- Eat immediately as soft serve or transfer to a freezer-safe dish and freeze for 1 to 2 more hours. (I always do that when photographing ice cream, otherwise, we eat it immediately after processing.)
Now that you know how to make coconut sorbet, what are you waiting for!
How to store Coconut Sorbet?
Keep the coconut sorbet in the freezer, in an airtight container. The sorbet will freeze completely solid after about 24 hours. To scoop, let the sorbet rest on the counter for 5 to 10 minutes.
Can I add other flavors to the sorbet?
Yes! Check out all my coconut sorbet variations below.
Can I make Coconut Sorbe without an ice cream maker?
Yes, you can make this recipe without an ice cream maker, however, the end result will be icier and much less creamy and smooth. (It will still be delicious.)
Place the sorbet mixture in a freezer-safe casserole dish, into the freezer. Stir the coconut sorbet every 30 minutes until it freezes. (6 to 8 hours)
The reason an ice cream maker produces creamier ice cream is that the constant movement of the paddles keeps the ice crystals small.
Coconut Sorbet Recipe Variations
You can vary up the taste and flavor with these recipe variations.
- Coconut Lime Sorbet: Increase sugar another 1/4 cup and add 1/4 cup lime juice to the mixture and process as normal.
- Boozy Coconut Sorbet: Add 1/2 cup of coconut rum to the mixture and process as normal.
- Pineapple Coconut Sorbet: (replace half a cup of coconut milk with 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- Healthy Pina Colada “Ice Cream” (Healthier no-churn version made in the blender)
Let Us Know What You Think!Print
- 1 cup no sugar added coconut water (like zico)
- 2 cans of coconut milk (one can room temp, other can chilled so you can remove the “coconut cream”)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- optional: 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- optional sliced almonds
- Combine sugar and coconut water in saucepan over low heat just until sugar is dissolved. Let cool.
- Add 1 can of coconut milk to mixture and carefully spoon “coconut cream” from chilled can of coconut into mixture.
- Stir til ingredients are thoroughly combined and place in fridge until chilled.
- Add coconut mixture to your ice cream machine and process according to machines instructions.
- At the end of processing, add optional add-ins to machine
- Eat immediately as soft serve or transfer to freezer safe dish and freeze 1 to 2 more hours.