The combination of rich, custard-y vanilla ice cream and sweet cherries make for a decadent…
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This Homemade Coconut Sorbet recipe is so flavorful and simple to make. And with only three ingredients, you can be certain that it’s not going to take you long at all to create! You’ll love the way that sorbet just melts on the tip of your tongue.
Enjoy and don’t forget to enter my giveaway for a Cuisinart Ice Cream Machine at the bottom of the post!!
Welcome to Day 4 of Ice Cream Week!
I’m sharing a new ice cream recipe every day this week and giving away a brand new ice cream maker to one lucky reader!
Enter the giveaway at the bottom of the post and don’t miss yesterday’s recipe, Homemade Banana Ice Cream!
Easy Coconut Sorbet In the Ice Cream Maker
I am a fan of all things coconut! I love this coconut sorbet…Once I made it and took my first bite, it reminded me of a coconut ice cream I once had while on vacation in Cancun. (I think I need to go back and try it again…ya know, for taste-test purposes!) This coconut sorbet is light, sweet, coconutty and just tastes like summer.
And while I wouldn’t go as far as calling it “coconut ice cream”, it does have a lot of the same characteristics and taste.
What is the Difference Between Sorbet and Ice Cream?
The main difference between the two are the ingredients.
Sorbet is usually made with water, sugar, and fruit (as in my Mango sorbet recipe) while ice cream is usually made with milk or cream, plus sugar and fruit. Therefore, Ice Cream is more “creamy” and sorbet is more “icy”.
However, this recipe kinda falls in the middle because it has coconut milk. So it’s more creamy than a sorbet (especially with the added coconut cream from the 2nd can of coconut milk) but it’s not a true coconut ice cream because there is no dairy.
What Are the Ingredients in Coconut Sorbet?
This is why I love this recipe so much! There’s literally coconut water, coconut milk, and sugar…with the option for nuts and shredded coconut. That’s it!
How to Make Coconut Sorbet
Don’t stress, this part of the recipe is simple. Combine the sugar and the coconut water over heat in a pan until all the sugar is dissolved. Once you let that cool down a bit, you’ll add one can of coconut milk and spoon the “coconut cream” out of the chilled 2nd can so it gets into the mixture as well.
This addition of the extra coconut cream is what makes this coconut sorbet extra creamy.
Stir until everything is combined and then place the sorbet base in your fridge to chill. Once chilled, process the coconut sorbet in the ice cream maker for about 25 minutes. That’s it! For a firmer consistency, you can transfer to a ice cream container and freeze for an hour or two. (I always do that when photographing ice cream, otherwise we eat it immediately after processing.)
Coconut Sorbet Recipe Variations
You can vary up the taste and flavor with these recipe variations.
- Coconut Lime: Increase sugar another 1/4 cup and add 1/4 cup lime juice to the mixture and process as normal
- Boozy Coconut Sorbet: Add 1/2 cup of coconut rum to mixture and process as normal
- Pineapple Coconut Sorbet: (replace half a cup of coconut milk with 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- Healthy Pina Colada “Ice Cream” (Healthier no-churn version made in the blender)
Now that you know how to make coconut sorbet, what are you waiting for!
Pin this recipe here:
- 1 cup no sugar added coconut water (like zico)
- 2 cans of coconut milk (one can room temp, other can chilled so you can remove the “coconut cream”)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- optional: 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- optional sliced almonds
- Combine sugar and coconut water in saucepan over low heat just until sugar is dissolved. Let cool.
- Add 1 can of coconut milk to mixture and carefully spoon “coconut cream” from chilled can of coconut into mixture.
- Stir til ingredients are thoroughly combined and place in fridge until chilled.
- Add coconut mixture to your ice cream machine and process according to machines instructions.
- At the end of processing, add optional add-ins to machine
- Eat immediately as soft serve or transfer to freezer safe dish and freeze 1 to 2 more hours.