This is a lightened up version of Penne alla Vodka. I don’t keep Vodka around too much, so I usually just omit it. Tastes great without it, but I guess I should be calling it Penne sans Vodka… 😉
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup sliced white mushrooms
- 1/4 cup of chicken broth (if needed)
- Dash of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ cups half n half
- 14 oz box of penne or rigatoni pasta
- 1/4 cup dry parmesan cheese
- (optional- pre cooked chicken)
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan or skillet; sauté the onions about 2 minutes, then add the mushrooms and sauté another 3 minutes or so, until golden brown. Add crushed tomatoes to the saucepan. Be sure to start with a pan large enough to hold the entire recipe.
2. Stir in the oregano, basil, salt, pepper and red pepper. If you wanted to add some pre-cooked chicken, you could add it at this point) Simmer about 30 minutes. If your tomato mixture seems dry, add a little bit of chicken broth.
3. Add the half n half to the tomato mixture; stir to mix. Keep the sauce warm while cooking the pasta.
4. Cook pasta according to the directions on the box. Drain well.
5. Add cooked pasta to the tomato cream mixture, mixing well and top with parmesan cheese.
6. If you wanted to add 2 oz of Vodka, add in after the cream and simmer for another 5 minutes.