Our family loves this Strawberry Ice Cream Cake. Golden Oreos, Strawberries, ice cream – what’s not to love! With minimal hands-on time, this light and delicious frozen dessert is the perfect make-ahead treat for all your spring and summer get-togethers.Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Why Make a Strawberry Ice Cream Cake:
- Strawberries and Ice Cream are a classic combo. Add in a crushed oreo base plus a few tasty toppings and you have an amazing dessert that both kids and adults will love.
- An ice cream cake is so easy to make!!!
- Only five ingredients!!!~
- There’s minimal hands-on time, so the Strawberry Ice cream cake is a quick and easy dessert to make, but keep in mind that you’ll need to allow a few hours for the ice cream to reharden.
It’s Officially Strawberry Season!
I just received an email from our local strawberry farm with an update that the strawberries are ready to be picked!
Strawberry picking is one of our favorite family activities to do in the spring, we go every year.
Facebook is even getting in on the “strawberry-picking-pressure” showing me all my memories and “from this day” posts of our trips to the strawberry farm.
All these thoughts of strawberries had me in the mood to make a strawberry dessert. Since we haven’t made it to the strawberry farm yet, we made do with plain ol’ grocery store strawberries. (They weren’t too bad and they were on sale, lol.)
Ice cream cake is a favorite dessert around here, so I decided to make a spring version by using strawberries and Golden Oreos.
Five Ingredients in this Strawberry Ice Cream Cake:
Yes, five ingredients! If you’re headed to the store at these ingredients to your list:
- Golden Oreos | Vanilla wafers are an option here as well. You could even use the original Oreo cookies for a totally different take on the strawberry ice cream cake.
- Butter | for the bottom layer/crust
- Strawberry ice cream | Use a premium strawberry ice cream.
- Heavy whipping cream | This is for the top layer. I prefer the taste of homemade whipped cream, but cool whip is an option if trying to save time.
- Strawberry syrup | Store-bought is my go-to, but you can use a homemade strawberry sauce as well (just make sure it is cool before using!)
Got lots of strawberries? See more strawberry recipe ideas here.
How to Make a Strawberry Ice Cream Cake
This yummy strawberry dessert is assembled in layers.
- 1st layer: In a food processor (or by hand) combine crushed cookies and butter. Press the cookie crumbs into a greased 13 by 9 dish
- 2nd layer: Spread softened strawberry ice cream over the cookie layer. Place in freezer until the ice cream has re-frozen.
- 3rd layer: Spread strawberry topping over ice cream, (reserve a bit for garnish if desired.) Cover ice cream cake with plastic wrap and return to freezer until set.
- 4th layer: Spread a generous amount of whipped topping over the strawberry sauce layer.
- Optional 5th layer: Just before serving, garnish with diced strawberries, additional strawberry sauce, and cookie crumbs.
Can I Make My Own Strawberry Sauce?
Of course! Making your own sauce is a bit more work, but just as tasty!
Here is a great recipe for a quick strawberry sauce. (I say quick, but you need to allow it to fully cool before adding to the strawberry ice cream cake.) It is basically the same as my strawberry jam recipe, minus the lemon juice and cooked for less time.
- 12 oz fresh or frozen strawberries (coarsely chopped)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the strawberries and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir the vanilla extract.
- Once cool, use a blender or food processor and process till smooth. An optional step would be to press the strawberry sauce through a fine-mesh strainer to remove the seeds. Leftovers can be placed in an airtight container and stored in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks.
Can I Use Regular Oreos Instead Of Golden Oreos?
The regular chocolate Oreos would be delicious too! This is really more of a personal preference as I love the Golden Oreos and when planning this recipe, I imagined the flavor of the Golden Oreos would “blend” better with strawberry than regular Oreos and it keeps the overall flavor a little lighter.
Can I Use Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream?
You definitely can (and I have an amazing homemade strawberry ice cream recipe you could use.)
But I actually recommend using a premium store-bought strawberry ice cream. Homemade ice creams melt faster and you’ll want this cake to hold its shape, so you can cut and serve before it gets too melty.
Can This Strawberry Ice Cream Cake Be Made Ahead Of Time?
This Ice Cream Cake is a great dessert to make ahead of time.
Since the ice cream does need time to re-harden, it’s perfect for when hosting guests. You can put the cake layers together the day before, toss it in the freezer, and it’ll be ready to serve when the guests arrive! If stored in an airtight container, this strawberry ice cream cake can be frozen for up to 2 months.
Ice Cream Cake Variations:
So many ways to change up this ice cream cake and make it our own!
- Use regular Oreos and hot fudge sauce with the strawberry ice cream.
- Pick a 2nd ice cream flavor (like chocolate) and make it a double layer ice cream cake
- Use regular Oreos and hot fudge sauce but switch the strawberry with cookies n cream ice cream.
- Use mint ice cream and chocolate ganache and make it a mint chocolate chip ice cream pie. (I called this one a pie because I made it in a springform pan and poured the chocolate ganache over the top!)
Let me know what you think!Print
Amazing Strawberry Ice Cream Cake Recipe: Golden Oreos, Strawberries, ice cream – what’s not to love! Minimal hands-on time makes this light and delicious frozen dessert the perfect make-ahead treat for all your spring and summer get-togethers.
- 36 Golden Oreos, crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 gallon strawberry ice cream, softened
- 1 jar of strawberry sundae topping (16 ish oz)
- 8 to 12 oz of whipped topping (cool whip style or make your own – I made my own.)
- Optional Toppings, such as fresh strawberries. additional strawberry syrup and crushed Oreos
- In a food processor (or by hand) combine crushed cookies and butter. Press cookie crumbs into a greased 13 by 9 dish.
- Carefully spread ice cream over cookie layer. Place in freezer until ice cream has re-frozen.
- Spread strawberry topping over ice cream, (reserve a bit for garnish if desired) cover with plastic wrap and return to freezer until set.
- Spread a generous amount of whipped topping over strawberry sauce layer.
- Return to freezer until firm ( made mine the night before)
- Just before serving, garnish with diced strawberries, additional strawberry sauce and cookie crumbs.
- Serving Size: 1/12 of recipe
- Calories: 386
Keywords: ice cream, strawberry