Our family loves this Strawberry Ice Cream Cake! With minimal hands-on time, this frozen dessert is the perfect make-ahead dessert for spring and summer get-togethers.
It’s officially strawberry season- I just received an email update from our local strawberry picking farm with an update that the strawberries are ready to be picked! Strawberry picking is one of our favorite family activities to do in the spring. We’ve gone every year since my kids were babies and I think it’s such a fun way to spend time together. We usually take a day off from school/work to go during the week when they’re less busy and make a special day of it. The kids get so excited and look forward to it every year.
The last couple of years, we’ve been able to time our visit to the farm just right, and have been able to pick blackberries, early peaches, strawberries and even dig up our potatoes! Facebook is even getting in on the strawberry picking pressure as well, by showing me all my memories and “from this day” posts of our strawberry picking adventures. Rather than skipping a day of school this year, I think we will plan our visit around a camping trip. How much fun will that be!
All these thoughts of strawberry picking had me in the mood to make a strawberry dessert. We haven’t been out to the strawberry picking farm, so I had to make do with plain ol’ grocery store strawberries. (They weren’t too bad, lol.)
Ice cream cake is a favorite dessert around here, so I decided to make a spring version by using strawberries and Golden Oreos. There are only five ingredients, and while you do need to allow a few hours for the ice cream to reharden, there’s minimal hands-on time, so it’s a quick and easy dessert to make.
See more strawberry recipe ideas here.
This dessert is assembled in layers, starting with a crust of Golden Oreos and butter. Then I added strawberry ice cream, strawberry ice cream topping, whipped cream and topped it all with fresh strawberries and more Oreos. I found that the flavor of the Golden Oreos works much better with strawberry than regular Oreos and it keeps the flavor a little lighter.
It’s a great dessert to make when having guests over because you can make it in the morning, toss it in the freezer, and it’ll be ready to eat by the time the guests arrive!
This Strawberry Ice Cream Cake is perfect for guests, make it ahead & toss in the freezer for when the guests arrive!Click To Tweet
Strawberry Ice Cream Cake
- 36 Golden Oreos, crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 gallon strawberry ice cream, softened
- 1 jar of strawberry sundae topping (16 ish oz)
- 8 to 12 oz whipped topping (cool whip style or make your own)
- Optional Toppings, such as fresh strawberries. additional strawberry syrup and crushed Oreos
- In a food processor (or by hand) combine crushed cookies and butter. Press cookie crumbs into a greased 13 by 9 dish.
- Carefully spread ice cream over cookie layer. Place in freezer until ice cream has re-frozen.
- Spread strawberry topping over ice cream, (reserve a bit for garnish if desired) cover with plastic wrap and return to freezer until set.
- Spread a generous amount of whipped topping over strawberry sauce layer.
- Return to freezer until firm ( made mine the night before)
- Just before serving, garnish with diced strawberries, additional strawberry sauce and cookie crumbs.
Don't miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: