Since finishing the pattern, I've made a couple different versions so far. The first top is made with a really nice quality french terry fabric. I love that this particular fabric had such great stretch and recovery. (Unfortunately, I don't know where it came from, I bought it from someone selling items from their personal stash.) I made no changes to the pattern for this version.
(I can not stress enough how much I detest taking photos of myself! Though I also dislike having my hubby take the pictures, it's so awkward... I finally ordered a dress form, so I'm looking forward to using it for some of my pictures.)
I really like how this top turned out. Paired with leggings and my shearling boots it's so perfect for morning drop off and running around in! The length is tailor-made for me, but you can easily lengthen or shorten the pattern to whatever length is most flattering for you.
The sizing is a little weird on this particular top. I traced the pattern from a top I love. (I think the reason I like it is that it is really roomy, but still flattering.) The size of the original top is tagged as a medium, but it fits more like a small large or a large medium. And when it comes to RTW tops, I wear either a med or a large depending on how roomy the top is. (Clear as mud?? :) So, I just called it a medium/large and graded the next size down to be more of a small/medium. On my next pattern, I'll be more careful to start out with a pattern that is closer to a true size... (There are finished garment measurements towards the bottom of the post.)
The next version I made was this denim blue top, made the same as the first, but with a slightly wider neckline. (For a wider neckline, trim 1/2 inch off the top of the sleeves, front and back bodice pattern.)
I like the blue top in general, but it was a very poor fabric choice. The fabric is another another french terry (if you can call it that...) - lots of stretch but absolutely no recovery. After wearing it for a bit, it becomes very "shlumpy". Fine for around the house, but not out and about... The fabric was a online order failure- had I seen it in person, I wouldn't have bought it.
This last top was made with a very stretchy tissue weight knit. For this version, I lowered the neckline, made the sleeves 3/4 length, added an inch to the sleeve cuff and left of the bottom band. I left the bottom un-hemmed in the photo, only because I was out of time, but I do plan on hemming it with my double needle.
Are you ready to try making this top for yourself?
I didn't do a separate tutorial for this pattern since it is made the exact same way as my child size raglan tunic pattern/tutorial. Follow the instructions in the tutorial (found here) using pattern and binding measurements below.
Pattern link: Ladies Raglan Tunic Top
Fabric: stretch knit, about 2 yards
Binding: use a ribbed knit or other knit with at least 75% stretch- any less than that, you will need to add a couple of inches to the binding and cuffs. (If you are worried, cut your binding a little long and stretch it with your fingers to make sure it will go all the way around.)
Neck binding: (cut on the fold)
S/M: 10.5 inches by 2 inches
M/L: 11 inches by 2 inches
Sleeve cuffs: (not on the fold)
S/M: 8 inches by 4.5 inches
M/L: 8.5 inches by 4.5 inches
Bottom binding: (not on the fold)
S/M: 37.75 by 4.5
M/L: 40 inches by 4.5
S/M: Bust: 34 Hip: 36.5
M/L: Bust: 36.5 Hip: 38.5
Finished garment measurements:
S/M: Bust: 39.5 Hip: 39.75
M/L: Bust: 41.75 Hip: 42
As you can see there's plenty of ease in the top for a nice loose fit. (I can wear the smaller size too, I just don't like my knits too clingy...)
Let me know if you end up making one of these!
Don't miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin', via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: