This Asian vegetable soup is lower calorie and packed full of good for you chicken and vegetables with just a touch of Asian flavor!
Welcome back to soup week, day three! (Don’t forget to enter the giveaway at the bottom of this post for the cast iron dutch oven I’ve been using to make my soups this week!)
The first two soups (see them here and here) I shared this week were delicious and my family loved them both! Since I try to keep my net carb count in the 70’s each day, that means I really haven’t been able to have more than it a few bites of the soups. (They are full of beans, which I limit since they are very high in carbs and eating the chicken and sausage out of the soups doesn’t count!)
The directions below include adding the noodles to the soup while it cooks, but if you’re like me and don’t want the noodles, just cook them separately and add them later. (Because we all know kids love noodles and not spinach!)
- I used Japanese Udon noodles, but you could use any type of noodle for this recipe.
- I have never used fresh ginger when a recipe calls for it. (It’s just not an ingredient I keep on hand. For this recipe, I use 1/4 tsp powdered ginger. However, I’ve read that powdered vrs. fresh are not the same and you really shouldn’t substitute. I’ve seen it recommended to keep unused ginger in the freezer and microplane it straight from the freezer.
- 2 tbs sesame oil
- 6 green onions, chopped, green and white parts separated
- 1 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 16 oz boneless chicken breast cut into a few smaller pieces (you could use pre cooked, just add it towards the end of the cooking time.)
- 2 tbsp Teriyaki sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha (use more or less depending on your heat tolerance
- 1/2 tsp salt (you might need more depending on your broth)
- 1 cup thickly chopped zucchini
- 9 ounces pasta/noodles
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced (I included half an orange pepper too- love them)
- 6 cups baby spinach
- In a large soup pot, heat sesame oil over medium high heat, saute with parts of onion, garlic and ginger for about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, water, chicken, teriyaki sauce, sriracha sauce and salt to pot. Bring to boil and simmer about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove chicken and shred. ( I just shredded it in the pot)
- Add zucchini, peppers and noodles to soup and continue cooking until noodles are tender.
- Add chicken back to the pot (If you even took it out…)
- Add spinach, stirring around until wilted.
- Taste add salt, pepper and/or additional sriracha if desired
- Dutch oven
- Hamilton Beach Set it and Forget it Slow Cooker
- Soup ladle (Love that this has the oz labeled in the ladle)
You’ll be able to enter every day by pinning and tweeting the new recipes
and following on Facebook, pinterest, etc…
If you are reading this post in a reader or email, you may have to click the rafflecopter link.
(Please be sure to fill out the required information properly. Giveaway open to US Residents only.)
Don’t miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin’, via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: