Baked Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Baked Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches are a snap to make! The sweet and tangy barbecue chicken makes the absolute best baked sandwich!
It’s almost dinner time… Who’s hungry?
Have you even started to think about what’s for dinner yet?
Today’s recipe for Baked Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches is a yummy one that my entire family loves.
I love it because it is so easy (and it’s one of my cook once eat twice recipes.)
What’s a Cook Once, eat Twice Recipe?
I’m glad you asked…
Cook once, eat twice is my favorite kind of dinner recipe. You cook a double or triple amount of protein or main ingredient (like ground beef, chicken, pork or beans) and use it in multiple recipes throughout the week!
For this baked chicken sandwich recipe, I made a crockpot full of my barbecue chicken breasts.
We ate the barbecue chicken breasts the first night and then a day or two later we had these barbecue chicken sandwiches.
The bread gets crispy, the cheese is melty, and complements the tangy barbecue sauce perfectly! What’s not to love?
If using leftover chicken (from the fridge) be sure to pre-warm the chicken before adding it to the rolls.
If you bake the chicken straight from the fridge, it won’t have time to heat all the way through before the rolls overcook.
Do I Have to Cook my Chicken in the Slow Cooker?
Of course, you don’t have to cook the chicken in the slow cooker. You could add your favorite bbq sauce to any pre-cooked diced or shredded chicken to make these sandwiches.
Don’t have pre-cooked chicken? No problem!
Did you know you can make shredded chicken in the microwave? Here’s how to make it:
- Place chicken in the bottom of a pyrex dish. (Make sure the dish is not so big it will interfere with the rotating plate in your microwave.)
- Add enough water to the dish to mostly cover the chicken. Cover with plastic wrap. (If your chicken pieces are huge, I recommend cutting them up into even-size pieces.)
- Cook the chicken on high for about 11 minutes. All microwaves are different, so be sure to check your chicken for doneness with a meat thermometer. (165 F for chicken.)
- Place cooked chicken and the barbecue sauce in a large mixing bowl and shred/mix everything together using a mixer or two forks.
Looking for More cook once, eat twice recipes for leftover barbecue chicken?
Try these recipes:
- Barbecue Chicken Skillet Pockets
- Barbecue Chicken Pizza
- Perfect Barbecue Chicken and Cheese topped Baked Potato
Or how about another cook one, eat twice chicken recipe using buffalo sauce instead of barbecue?
Thy this one: Buffalo Chicken Pizza (you can thank me later!) 😉Print
Baked Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 sandwich per person
These Baked Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches are a snap to make! The sweet and tangy barbecue chicken makes the the absolute best baked sandwich!
- Pre-cooked chicken, shredded or diced. ( I used leftovers from this recipe)
- Barbecue sauce
- Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- Sandwich rolls or hot dog buns
- If using leftover chicken, make sure to reheat it a bit in the microwave.
- Mix together barbecue sauce and shredded/diced chicken. (I didn’t measure the sauce, just use what looks right.)
- Fill the sandwich rolls with the chicken mixture, top with a bit more bbq sauce.
- Place sandwiches on a baking sheet with a lip (like a jelly roll pan) or a casserole dish.
- Sprinkle a handful of the shredded cheese over the sandwiches and bake in a preheated oven at 425 degrees for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bread is toasty.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Keywords: barbecue, barbecue chicken, leftover chicken, baked sandwiches
Don't miss any more posts!
Follow along on:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.
This is sooooooo easy and delicious! Cooked up some chicken breasts in my pressure cooker and shredded. Used cheddar instead.
So easy. I used leftover dinner rolls from our chicken dinner. It was very yummy and a perfect way to utilize leftovers!
I featured this in my first Daily Dose of EyeLoveKnots Finds for December 7th. Thank you for the opportunity to share!
Yum! My kids love barbecued chicken, so these are a must-try. I'm a big fan of cooking once for two meals, so that's an added bonus! Thanks for sharing.
This looks great. I pinned it and can't wait to try it. I came over from take-a-look Tuesday
This looks delicious! I love that you can use hot dog buns because the store here always have them on massive mark down!
What a great idea for the left over Chicken, it looks awesome! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend!
I love this idea! They look so tasty! 🙂
mmm…looks so yummy…