It’s 5:30 and everybody’s hungry! It’s been a rough week: work, everyone is suffering from allergies and colds, 2 hours of daily homework with kids who don’t want to do homework and now it’s time to make dinner…
Nights like these, we’ve got two choices. Take out or one of my “in a pinch/I don’t want to cook” dinner recipes. The problem with take out is, we have to wait for Dad (because he picks it up and sometimes comes home too late) and it is not alway the healthiest choice. (Because really, who can stop at 2 slices of pizza.)
One of our favorite quick recipes is Quesadillas. We always have tortillas on hand and (usually cheese) plus I keep my pantry stocked with all sorts of canned ingredients that are great in a quesadilla.
In the past, I made our quesadillas one at a time in the frying pan. This method can be a bit inconvenient, especially when you want to be able to sit down to a family meal and still have the quesadillas be hot and crispy.
My solution? Baking them! Works great with corn or flour tortillas, just use your favorite.
Did you know February is National Canned Food Month?
I always keep my pantry stocked with a variety of canned foods. To me, using canned foods means less prep and year-round availability, making healthy, homemade meals a reality more often.
Let’s face it, if you’re anything like me, our lives right now are only getting busier and a well-stocked pantry (“Cantry ”) helps get us through the week with creative meals we can feel good about serving our families.
You’ll love how easy and yummy these quesadillas are. Add a big salad and maybe another side dish (mexican rice) and you’ve got a great meal on the table in a short amount of time.
You can keep the recipe as is for a perfect “Meatless Monday” meal or add a can of chicken for an even better “Cantry Thursday” meal!
Baked Cheesy Black Bean Quesadillas
- 1 7oz can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 14 oz can black beans
- 1 3 oz can fried onions
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 12 flour or corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cup (or more) of your favorite shredded cheese
- Heat oven to 450 degrees..
- Line two baking sheets with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Combine black beans, corn and onions in a bowl; set mixture aside.
- Place 3 tortillas on each sheet pan.
- Sprinkle a layer of cheese on each tortilla.
- Spread 3(ish) tablespoons of bean mixture over cheese
- Top with more cheese and a tortilla.
- Spray the tortilla top with cooking spray and bake in oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, turn quesadillas over and bake another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and tortillas are golden brown.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
Enter it in the Cantry Cook-Off Recipe Contest! In honor of National Canned Food Month, Kelsey Nixon will be judging Cans Get You Cookingʼs Cantry Cook-Off Recipe Contest! Entrants must create a unique recipe using at least two canned food items and submit the recipe, along with a photo of their dish for a chance to win $5,000! Entrants have until March 31, 2015
Don’t miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin’, via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: