I love simple dishes that can be made in the crockpot. (especially when they are as yummy as this one…) When I planned this meal of Creamy Chicken Verde Tacos, I had intended it to be 2 meals worth of chicken. Ha Ha, silly me!
Creamy Chicken Verde Tacos
My hubby sometimes comes home after the kids and I have dinner and this was one of those nights. The kids and I had a couple of tacos each and we all thought it was really good! I was upstairs with the kids when my husband came home. He made himself a few tacos and came upstairs too. He told me how much he really liked the chicken. In fact, he said, “I can’t stay out of it.” I guess he meant that literally because when I woke up the next morning, it was ALL GONE!
This is the salsa verde I used, good stuff!
Update: I wanted to add in a quick comment about this recipe… If you are anything like me, you may have this dish on your menu and then look up at the clock and see that it is already 3pm. Oops, too late for the slow cooker, but I have made this recipe many times in the microwave. Yep, and it’s just as good. I have added the microwave cooking directions at the bottom of the post.
Creamy Chicken Verde Tacos
The combination of the salsa verde and cream cheese make this simple Creamy Chicken Verde an unbelievably delicious dish! It’s easy to make (in the slow cooker or microwave) and is great on tacos, salads, enchiladas etc…
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 7 hours
- Yield: 4 to 6 cups 1x
- Category: main dish
- +/- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 10 oz of salsa verde
- 3/4 block of low fat cream cheese
- optional ( 1 or 2 4 oz cans of diced green chiles)
Slow cooker instructions:
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Dump salsa over the top of the chicken, Add diced green chilies if using.
- Cook for 5 to 6 hours on low depending on the size and amount of chicken breasts. (I usually stick a thermometer in the chicken before the end of the cooking time. Chicken breasts will definitely dry out if cooked too long.)
- About 30 minutes before the cooking time is complete, remove the chicken from the crockpot and shred it.
- Return the chicken to the crockpot. If your chicken is sitting in a lot of juice, you may want to spoon off some of the broth before adding in the cream cheese. (You can always add it back in later if the mixture needs more liquid. I have noticed that some chicken breasts are injected with broth or salt water during processing, check the front of the package for the fine print to see if anything extra has been added. This will create a lot more “broth” at the bottom of your crock pot, which you may want to spoon out.)
- Mix the shredded chicken with the salsa at the bottom of the crockpot. Add the block of cream cheese to the chicken and salsa mixture. (Just set the cheese right on top.)
- After about 30 more minutes, the cream cheese should be melted enough to stir completely into the shredded chicken.
- Serve on tortillas with all the fixin’s and enjoy!
Microwave cooking instructions:
- Place chicken in the bottom of a pyrex dish (make sure the dish is not so big it will interfere with the rotating plate in your microwave.) and add enough water to mostly cover the chicken and cover with plastic wrap. (If your chicken pieces are huge, I recommend cutting them up into even size pieces.)
- Cook the chicken on high for about 11 minutes. (11 minutes does cook 4 huge chicken breast [cut into smaller pieces] in my 1100 watt microwave. All microwaves are different, so be sure to check your chicken for done-ness.)
- Place chicken and the rest of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and shred/mix everything together using a mixer. (You can use a fork, but a mixer is so much easier.)
- Add in a few spoonfuls of chicken broth or the chicken cooking water so the chicken mixture is nice and juicy, but not dripping when you put it on the tortilla
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 173
- Fat: 6
- Carbohydrates: 4
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 24
Keywords: chicken, slow cooker