Looking for a family friendly, hearty and filling meal that’s easy and won’t heat up the kitchen? Look no further than this Crock-Pot Cheesy Chicken and Yellow Rice Recipe! (scroll to the bottom for printable recipe and video)
Seven simple ingredients are all that is in this recipe and it is so easy to put together! My family really enjoyed this Crock-Pot Cheesy Chicken and Yellow Rice dish and I will definitely be adding it to our meal rotation. Any time I get a thumbs up from my kiddos about dinner, it’s a must to make again and again.
What makes this chicken and rice recipe so much better than others is the addition of the yellow rice instead of regular white rice.
I’d never had yellow rice before, and when shopping for the ingredients all I found was the Zatarain’s brand of yellow rice. I took a little bite of the rice after I cooked it in the microwave, and yes, yellow rice is tasty!
How had I made it this long in life without this tasty side dish? It definitely makes the dish, so don’t be tempted to substitute plain white rice. (Seriously, don’t.)
After I tasted the rice, I had to google yellow rice to find out how it was made (of course, lol.) I did find a few recipes that sounded good, so maybe someday I will attempt a huge batch from scratch and then freeze it…but that my friends, is a task for another day!
How do you make cheesy chicken and rice in a crock pot?
I know I said this before, but I’m going to say it again just in case there are any questions…this cheesy chicken and rice recipe is crazy simple. It’s like one of those recipes that you just can’t mess up. It’s very forgiving even if you make a mistake, and I also have to report that it tastes super good the very next day as leftovers as well. (if you have any!)
What makes this recipe so easy is this is almost what I call a “dump dinner.” Just toss in a few ingredients into the slow cooker and when done, shred the chicken and stir in the last few ingredients.
This recipe does use canned cream of chicken soup, but if you are bothered by that, look into the Pacific Foods Organic Cream of Chicken Condensed Soup. It’s more expensive, but they steer clear of steer clear of additives, preservatives and common allergens, and avoid GMOs.
More Easy Crock Pot Recipes you might enjoy:
- Slow Cooker Beef Chili Recipe
- Easy Slow Cooker Meatball Subs
- Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Barbecue Beef Sliders
- Creamy Green Chile Enchilada Soup
- 3 Ingredient Barbecue Pulled Pork Recipe
Pin this recipe for later:
Use your crock-pot for good this season and create this cheesy chicken and rice crock-pot recipe! Trust me…your taste buds will thank you.
Crock-Pot Cheesy Chicken and Yellow Rice
Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken and Yellow Rice is a fabulously filling and hearty dish the family will love!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 7 hours
- Total Time: 7 hours and 15 minutes
- Yield: serves 4 to 5
- Category: main dish
- Method: slow cooker
- 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 – 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1 -8 ounce box Zatarain’s Yellow Rice Mix, cooked according to directions
- 1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese (plus a bit more for garnish)
- 1 -15 ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
- 3/4 cup of sour cream
- optional garnish: finely chopped fresh parsley
- Place the chicken breasts in the crock pot.
- Add the chopped onion and spoon the soup on top of the chicken.
- Cook on low 7 to 8 hours or high 3 to 4 hours.
- At the end of the cooking time, open the crock pot and break the chicken up into small pieces.
- Add the rice, cheese corn and sour cream to the crock pot. Stir until all combined.
- Put the lid back on and allow the crock pot to cook for about 10 to 15 more minutes or until everything is warm and the cheese has melted.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of cheese and fresh parsley.
Keywords: chicken, slow cooker, crock-pot, yellow rice