Looking for a family-friendly, hearty, and filling meal that’s easy and won’t heat up the kitchen? Look no further than this Crock-Pot Cheesy Chicken and Yellow Rice Recipe! (scroll to the bottom for printable recipe and video)
Crock-Pot Cheesy Chicken and Yellow Rice Recipe
Seven simple ingredients are all that is in this recipe, and it is so easy to put together!
My family really enjoyed this Crock-Pot Cheesy Chicken and Yellow Rice dish, and I will definitely add it to our meal rotation. Whenever I get a thumbs up from my kiddos about dinner, it’s a must to make repeatedly.
What makes this chicken and rice recipe so much better than others is the addition of yellow rice instead of regular white rice.
I’d never had yellow rice before, and when shopping for the ingredients, all I found was Zatarain’s brand of yellow rice. I took a little bite of the rice after I cooked it in the microwave, and yes, yellow rice is tasty!
After I tasted the rice, I had to google yellow rice to find out how it was made (of course, lol.) I did find a few recipes that sounded good, so maybe someday I will attempt a huge batch from scratch and then freeze it…but that, my friends, is a task for another day!
How had I made it this long in life without knowing about this tasty yellow rice side dish?
Yellow rice definitely makes the dish, so don’t be tempted to substitute plain white rice. (Seriously, don’t.)
Ingredients for Chicken and Yellow Rice + notes
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts | I don’t recommend bone-in because removing all the bones and gristle would be too difficult, and this is supposed to be an easy dish. I also don’t recommend thighs due to the amount of liquid fat they produce during the slow cooking process.
- Onion | You only need half an onion, and yellow or white is fine.
- Cream of chicken soup | If you are looking for a healthier cream of chicken soup, check out the Pacific Foods Organic Cream of Chicken Condensed Soup. It’s more expensive, but they avoid GMOs, avoid additives, preservatives, and common allergens.
- Zatarain’s Yellow Rice Mix, cooked according to directions | Important! You are adding the COOKED rice at the end of the cooking time.
- Monterey Jack Cheese | Cheddar works fine too
- Can whole-kernel corn
- Sour cream
- optional garnish: fresh parsley
How do you make cheesy chicken and rice in a crock pot?
I know I said this before, but I will say it again just in case of any questions…
This cheesy chicken and rice recipe is crazy simple.
It’s like one of those recipes that you can’t mess up. It’s very forgiving even if you make a mistake, and I also have to report that it tastes super good the next day as leftovers. (if you have any!)
What makes this recipe so easy is this is almost what I call a “dump dinner.” Just toss in a few ingredients into the slow cooker, and when done, shred the chicken and stir in the last few ingredients.
This recipe does use canned cream of chicken soup, but if you are bothered by that, look into the Pacific Foods Organic Cream of Chicken Condensed Soup. It’s more expensive, but they avoid GMOs, avoid additives, preservatives, and common allergens.
To make the Slow Cooker Chicken and Yellow Rice:
- Prep: Place the chicken breasts in the crock pot, top with the chopped onion and cream of chicken soup.
- Cook: Then cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Shred and mix: At the end of the cooking time, open the crock pot and break the chicken up into small pieces. Add the rice, cheese, corn, and sour cream to the crock pot. Stir until all combined.
- Melt the cheese: Put the lid back on and allow the crock pot to cook for about 10 to 15 more minutes or until everything is warm and the cheese has melted.
- Garnish and serve: Garnish with a sprinkle of cheese and fresh parsley.
Simple as that!
Yes! Follow the instructions in the recipe card; the only changes would be to cook the chicken with the onions and soup in your pressure cooker on the poultry setting, Do a 5-minute natural release. (Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then quickly release the rest.)
Shred the chicken, add in the rest of the rest of the ingredients, stir, cover, and let the cheese melt.
If you want to cook this recipe ahead of time and freeze it, this is what I recommend:
Cook the chicken with the rice and onions. Shred and let cool. Place in a freezer-safe air-tight container and freeze. You could also precook the rice and freeze in a separate container.
When ready to eat, pull the rice and chicken containers from the freezer and let them thaw overnight in the fridge. Then combine the chicken mixture and rice in a large microwave-safe bowl and reheat in the microwave for about 4 to 5 minutes. Then add the sour cream and cheese, stir, and heat for another minute or two until the cheese is melted.
You could also reheat it on the stovetop.
More Easy Crock Pot Recipes you might enjoy:
- Slow Cooker Beef Chili Recipe
- Easy Slow Cooker Meatball Subs
- Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Barbecue Beef Sliders
- Creamy Green Chile Enchilada Soup
- 3 Ingredient Barbecue Pulled Pork Recipe
Pin this recipe for later:
Use your crock-pot for good this season and create this cheesy chicken and rice crock-pot recipe!
Trust me…your taste buds will thank you.
Did you make this Cheesy Chicken and Yellow Rice Recipe?
Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section below. If you share an image on Instagram or Facebook, be sure to tag me and use #scatteredmomrecipes!
Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken and Yellow Rice is a fabulously filling and hearty dish the family will love!
- 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 – 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1 –8 ounce box Zatarain’s Yellow Rice Mix, cooked according to directions
- 1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese (plus a bit more for garnish)
- 1 –15 ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
- 3/4 cup of sour cream
- optional garnish: finely chopped fresh parsley
- Place the chicken breasts in the crock pot.
- Add the chopped onion and spoon the soup on top of the chicken.
- Cook on low 7 to 8 hours or high 3 to 4 hours.
- At the end of the cooking time, open the crock pot and break the chicken up into small pieces.
- Add the rice, cheese corn and sour cream to the crock pot. Stir until all combined.
- Put the lid back on and allow the crock pot to cook for about 10 to 15 more minutes or until everything is warm and the cheese has melted.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of cheese and fresh parsley.
Keywords: chicken, slow cooker, crock-pot, yellow rice
Don't miss any more posts!
Follow along on:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.