Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This Homemade Orange Sherbet recipe is a simple homemade ice cream recipe made with only four ingredients. It’s light, sweet and tastes just like you remember. Even better? You can make this orange sherbet with or without an ice cream maker!
Welcome to Day 2 of Ice Cream Week!
I’m sharing a new ice cream recipe every day this week and giving away a brand new ice cream maker to one lucky reader! Enter the giveaway at the bottom of the post and don’t miss yesterday’s recipe, an amazing no cook, easy chocolate ice cream.
Delicious Homemade Orange Sherbet
My lil’ missy is a huge Orange Sherbet fan. Whenever we hit up the local Baskin Robbins, if Rainbow Sherbet isn’t available, orange sherbet it is. (What’s funny is, I was the exact same way as a child.) To her, this was the recipe of the week. Literally, the moment that it was made, she was standing next to me with a cone in her hand.
And yes, this homemade orange sherbet recipe really does taste like the sherbet that you get at the ice cream store.
Does Orange Sherbet Have Dairy?
Yes, this recipe does contain dairy. The difference between sherbet and sorbet is mainly the amount of dairy they contain. Sorbet, (like my mango sorbet recipe or cherry lime sorbet) has no dairy at all and sherbet, like ice cream, has dairy.
Ingredients in Orange Sherbet
Want to make this recipe, be sure to add these ingredients to your shopping list.
- Unflavored gelatin
- Whole milk
- Orange juice
- optional: food coloring (This is my favorite gel-based food coloring. If you are not already using these I highly recommend them.)
My ice cream maker. (It’s awesome!)
How to Make Orange Sherbet in an Ice Cream Maker:
Making this homemade sherbet is so easy! In just a few short steps, you’ll be chowing down.
All you have to do is mix the sugar and gelatin together and then add the orange juice and heat until sugar and gelatin is dissolved. Chill the mixture and process in the ice cream maker. That’s it!
How to Make Orange Sherbet Without an Ice Cream Maker
Don’t have an ice cream maker for this recipe? No problem! It can be made without one as well!
- Mix sugar and gelatin together in a saucepan.
- Add in the orange juice and cook over medium heat until the gelatin is dissolved.
- Remove pan from heat and mix in milk.
- Add sherbet to a baking dish, cover and freeze until almost firm. *I can’t predict how long it will take your sherbert to freeze as it depends on how warm the sherbert mixture was and how low your freezer is set. (and yes, I did have a prediction time here, but someone bitched, so I took it out.) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- Stir sherbet to break up chunks and place into a chilled bowl.
- Beat with a mixer till smooth, but not melted.
- Return to the baking dish, cover and place back into the freezer till completely frozen.
If you like the idea of orange sherbet, but want to change it up a bit, go for it. Here are a few variations that you can do with ease.
Pineapple: Sub unsweetened pineapple juice for the orange
Lime: use 1 cup sugar, the same amount of gelatin, 1 cup water, 2/3 cup lime juice plus 2 cups whole milk
Peach: If you like this orange sherbet recipe, make certain to check out this 2 ingredient Peach Sherbet recipe as well!
One other little tip I did to really make it stand out? I added a few drops of orange food coloring to make certain that there was no question about the flavor and the color!
Don’t forget to enter the giveaway!
You must be 18 to enter and have a US mailing address to enter the giveaway. I will add a new pin entry option every day. (One for each recipe I post.) Be sure to check back and enter every day for a chance to win.
See the Orange Sherbet in the ice cream maker:
Like this recipe? Pin it here:
Don't miss any more posts!
Follow along on:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!
Homemade Orange Sherbet:Print
- 1 1/8 cups sugar
- 13/4 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 3/4 cup orange juice
- optional: orange food coloring
- Mix sugar and gelatin in a saucepan.
- Add orange juice and cook over medium heat until sugar and gelatin is dissolved
- Remove pan from heat and mix in milk.
- Cover and chill in fridge for an hour or two.
- Process in ice cream maker until done.
- Serve immediately as soft serve or transfer to a container and freeze for a a few hours until firm.
Keywords: ice cream, range, sherbet, ice cream maker
Want more cool treat dessert recipes to try at home?