I just finished a sweet new romper for my lil’ princess:
I have been on the hunt for a romper pattern for my daughter. I’ve been browsing the commercial patterns and etsy patterns, but hadn’t found one I liked. (Or one I liked enough to pay for…)
I finally came across this tutorial on one of the blogs I follow: Girls romper tutorial from Crafterhours. Just what I was looking for…
It was actually pretty easy, though I did make it harder than it needed to be since I changed up the style of the top.
I used one of my existing patterns to cut the arm holes and I sewed six rows of shirring instead of using elastic. Then, I created the straps with the bias strips I cut a few weeks ago. You can read about that project here..
The difficulty came in to play when I had to figure out the length of material I needed to cut for the top part of the romper. We had to try it on multiple times and make several adjustments. (Not the easiest thing to do with a 4 year old.)
You can see the basic shape of the arm hole before the shirring in this little piece I cut off in one of the multiple adjustments made.
I also decided to add an extra row of shirring around the waistband, but I sewed it on the wrong side! ACK!!! I am still not done picking that out. See it? Luckily it falls below the overlap of the top…:
Overall, I am very pleased with how this turned out! The fabric I used was just some extra knit I had on hand. It came from Hobby Lobby last year, I bought it very inexpensively with a coupon and have been using bit and pieces of it in several projects.
I will definitely make another one (or two). Next time, I am going to follow the tutorial directions for the top, but I will try to add a ruffle like this top from Old Navy:
And use this tutorial for the shorts:
|Knot Short tutorial from Elsie Marley|
If you like this project and want to see more, please consider becoming a follower. You can subscribe using the Google Friend Connect widget, through a reader, or signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: