This Off The Shoulder Ruffle Top Pattern, is a free sewing pattern available in a printable pdf, in girl’s sizes 3 to 12. This sweet ruffle top is so versatile and can be worn many ways. It will definitely be a hit with your little fashionista! (Plus you’ll love how easy it is to sew.)
I have a new pattern to share with you today! I’ve actually had this off the shoulder ruffle top pattern almost done for quite a while, but so much stuff has happened, I haven’t had the energy/motivation to finish up the tutorial and printable pattern template. (My least favorite part of the process, lol.)
The best thing that happened was our annual summer vacation. (OMG that photo!)
The worst was getting sick for a full month and my hard drive failing right before the vacation. I had not backed up my laptop in about 3 months- so I was in danger of losing a couple of unfinished patterns (including this diy off the shoulder top) and lots of photos.
Luckily, it was a minor failure, so the repair shop was able to recover all my files! You know I was thanking my lucky stars, lol, and I am now feeling better from the worst stomach bug ever.
Off The Shoulder Ruffle Top Pattern
It’s pretty late in the season for an off the shoulder top and I thought about saving the post until next spring but a couple of people have asked me about this pattern- so I decided to just go ahead with it! (I had posted a sneak peak on Instagram before all of the calamities happened.)
In the version I am showcasing today, I opted to use a knit border print fabric for the ruffle top. (I had this print in my stash for a while. I intended to use it in a nightgown for me, but it never got made.)
I had enough of the fabric to use the border as part of the ruffle.
I think this top turned out super cute and my missy is already wanting another one, but in dress length. I’ve got the perfect pink and white floral rayon that will make a beautiful, flowy dress, but I think I will wait until next year on that one!
Recommended Fabrics for this Free Ruffle Top Pattern:
The best fabric for this ruffle top pattern is almost any fabric that is not too stiff. I used my peasant dress pattern to design this top so it’s basically an off the shoulder peasant blouse. What that means is, the top is roomy and will grow with your girl.
I used a knit fabric, but any flowy rayon-y fabric would be beautiful, but even a quilting cotton that is not terribly stiff would be cute as well. I especially love the idea of a border print fabric or if you have an embroidery machine, how about a solid fabric with embroidery on the ruffle.
Ready to Sew Your Own Off the Shoulder Top?
Materials to Make an Off-the-Shoulder Ruffle Top:
- fabric (up to 1.5 yards of 40 inch fabric for a size 12)
- single fold bias tape
- 1/4 inch elastic
Products used and Recommended:
- My favorite fabric shop for knits: Funkalicious Fabrics and Girl Charlee. My favorite shop for cottons and other fabrics: Fabric.com.
- My Sewing Machine: SINGER 9960 Quantum Stylist, my coverstitch: Janome Cover Pro 1000cpx
- My Serger: Brother 1034D 3 or 4 Thread Serger or you can just use Pinking Shears
- Rotary Cutter
- I love my large ruler and large cutting mat, but you may prefer to start of with a smaller Cutting set
- Dritz Dual Purpose Marking Pen and Fray Check
- Wonder clips (I didn’t use these in the post, but they are just awesome!
DIY Ruffle Top Pattern Tips:
- 1/4 inch seam allowance
- Light, flowy fabrics recommended (rayon, knits, voile)
- Top is designed to hit at the hip. To shorten or lengthen, cut pattern at waist level and redraw side seam.
Fabric layout Guide: