Ribbons are the perfect way to dress up a pair of dollar store flip flops. We used Red white and blue ribbons on this pair of Ribbon Embellished Flip flops to make a fun patriotic craft!
The fourth of July holiday is tomorrow and while we are still working on decorating our bikes and scooters for the parade, we have our outfits finished! Last week, we made a festive beaded fringe t-shirt and today, we finished up the coordinating flip flops.
This is a perfect craft for young kids – decorating these flip flops is as easy as tying a simple knot around the strap!
One thing to note – While adorable, I don’t actually recommend the glitter ribbon we used. I found it stiff and kind of hard to work with. So when choosing ribbon, keep in mind how easy it will be to tie and how it will feel against the skin. Grosgrain, satin or fabric strips work best.
Ready to make your flip flops?
Ribbon Embellished Flip Flops
- Flip flops
- optional: fray check or a lighter to seal any ribbon that frays
- optional: Strong craft glue (in case you need to tack down slippery ribbon)
1. Cut ribbon into 5-inch strips. (If working with a young child, you may want to cut the strip slightly longer so it will be easier to tie in a knot.)
2. Wrap ribbon around flip flop strap and tie in a knot.
3. Keep going with the ribbon until you are satisfied with the fullness and how it looks.
Tim the ribbons until everything is even, seal any fraying edges and fluff.
All done! Now you can strut your stuff in your fancy new flip flops.