Summertime means blueberry season, and what better way to enjoy these sweet berries than in a delicious Blueberry Crumb Bar? This recipe is easy to follow and perfect for a summer potluck or picnic. Don’t forget to bring the ice cream and these bars will be the hit of the party!
As my family and my parents were sitting around the table a few weeks ago, we were discussing the easy peach cobbler I made recently. Everyone was naming their favorite fruit flavors for a cobbler, and someone mentioned blueberries… (Blueberry cobbler is my fave!)
Lucky for me, (and my family) blueberries are finally starting to go on sale. I sent hubby to the store to grab a few pints of blueberries so I could make these blueberry crumb bars for our Memorial Day get-together.
These bars are amazing!
I managed to put these 3 bars away so I could get a decent picture when I had a chance. (They never even made it back to the kitchen once I was done!)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder.
- Mix in salt and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly.
- Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, stir together the sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch. Gently mix in the blueberries.
- Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust.
- Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown.
- I served mine slightly warm with a couple of scoops of Bluebell Homemade Vanilla ice cream.
Don't miss any more posts!
Follow along on:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.