Chicken Stew in the Slow Cooker
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
One of my family’s favorite meals is chicken drumsticks baked in the the oven. I usually buy the large value size pack of drumsticks when they’re on sale for a $.99 a lb. (Sometimes even $.77 cents a pound- that is stock up time!) I cook as many as I can fit on the baking pan, then freeze the leftovers to use in another dish. With the absolutely freezing weather we’ve been having, I thought a chicken stew would be a great way to use up the leftover drumsticks.
We all loved this stew (including my picky son!) The stew is done in the crock pot, so it’s really easy. I actually even went to the extra effort of sauteing the onions and peppers before adding them to the crock pot!
- 3 tbs oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 8 oz can of diced green chilies
- 8 chicken pieces such as thighs or drumsticks
- 14 oz can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1.5 tsp of dried cumin
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup of frozen corn, thawed
- 2 14 oz cans of white beans, drained
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in large skillet, saute onion and bell pepper for about 5 minutes Add the garlic and green chilies and saute another minute or so. Transfer the sauteed onion mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add chicken pieces to the slow cooker and add can of tomatoes on top of chicken.
- sprinkle the salt, pepper, cayenne, cumin, garlic.
- Stir Worcestershire sauce into the chicken stock and add to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for about 6.5 hours
- Mix the cornstarch with 2 to 3 tbs of water and gently stir into the stew.
- Gently mix in the corn and beans and cook for another 30 to 40 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
Don’t miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin’, via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below:
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.
I have never had chicken stew, but it looks incredible (and easy!)