Creamy Rigatoni with Sausage and Red Peppers: This easy Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta Recipe quick to make and full of delicious Italian flavors. Bonus… It’s a lightened up version that you can feel good about serving to your family!
I have a new recipe to share! Yum… this lightened-up version of Creamy Rigatoni with Sausage and Red Peppers is so good!
I’ve never actually cooked Italian sausages in casings before. I’ve always just bought ground or precooked/smoked sausage.
The sausage definitely easy to cook and this recipe was fabulous! (I admit, I did break out my digital thermometer for the sausage, I have a major fear of under-cooking meats.)
- 8 oz uncooked rigatoni, plus salt for the water
- 8 oz uncooked Italian-style sausages
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms (I left the mushrooms out, but I bet they would make the recipe even better!)
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup raw onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp of Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup(s) milk
- 1/2 tsp table salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage according to package directions. (Mine said to brown over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or so, then add a half cup of water, cover with lid and simmer for 12 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions.
- Once the sausages are cooked, remove them from heat and cut them into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices.
- Add red peppers, onions, mushrooms and garlic to skillet and saute with oil for about 3 minutes. Add sausage and Italian seasoning, cook for a few more minutes.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together flour and milk until smooth; stir into skillet with sausage and veggies. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring sauce to a boil; simmer until thickened.
- Once pasta has finished cooking, drain and add to skillet along with Parmesan cheese. Toss to coat.
- Serve and enjoy!
Don't miss any more posts!
Follow along on:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.