I came across these insulated drink tumblers at Walmart a few weeks ago. I grabbed…
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Kick summer boredom to the curb and keep the kids entertained this summer with these 10+ Fun Sidewalk Chalk Ideas!
Get Creative With Sidewalk Chalk!
We’re heading into what I refer to as the “Summer Doldrums…” The Fourth of July Festivities will be over soon and we’ll still have several weeks before our planned summer vacation and back to school excitement.
We still have a few fun activities on the agenda; a trip to the water park, weekly library visits and a couple days at a day camp. In between all these activities, I still have to keep my kids busy during the day and away from tv and electronic devices.
One of my favorite activities to keep the kids entertained for hours is just a plain ol’ box of sidewalk chalk!
So much fun and just a fabulous way to get their imaginations flowing! We are always trying to come up with the best ideas for things to draw with chalk!
Over the years, we have played with all sorts of chalk and sidewalk chalk art accessories. Here are our favorites.
Favorite Sidewalk Chalk and Accessories
- Crayola Washable Sidewalk Chalk – Sure, there is probably cheaper generic chalk out there, but this Crayola chalk washes out of clothes the best and is by far the brightest, saturated chalk colors out there.
- Chalk paint – We’ve had a lot of fun with the chalk paint too. It’s how we are able to easily do the big sidewalk chalk paint murals.
- Sidewalk Chalk Games and Accessories: Check out these little bean bags for Sidewalk Chalk Bean Bag Toss. You can even get accessories for foot hockey and hand golf.
Frequently Asked Sidewalk Chalk Questions
To make your own chalk, mix ¼ cup of warm water with ½ cup of Plaster of Paris in a bowl. Add the chalk mixture to a mold or ice cube tray. Boom! You have chalk!
To add color your homemade chalk, before adding to the mold, mix in 2-3 tablespoons of tempera paint. The more paint you add, the more saturated the color will be. Add your colored chalk mixture to a mold and when it dries, you have colored chalk!
My favorite is the Crayola Washable Sidewalk Chalk it will wash out of clothes and is (imo) the best and brightest, saturated chalk out there.
Fun Sidewalk Chalk Ideas:
I’ve put together this great little roundup of inspirational chalk art ideas to help get your kids natural curiosity and imagination flowing. So grab your box of sidewalk and head outdoors to your closest sidewalk for hours of nonstop fun and entertainment for the kiddos!
Sidewalk Chalk Art
1. Chalk art/photography.
Grab a pen and make a list of all the things to draw with sidewalk chalk. My kids get so excited when I pull out my camera and a ladder to get interactive pictures of them in their Chalk masterpieces!
Sidewalk Chalk Games
2. Chalk Hopscotch:
3. Chalk Checkers:
4. Sidewalk Chalk Twister (this one is a bit messy, but oh-so fun!)
5. DIY Chalk Canvas: Don’t have a driveway to decorate? No problem, check out this Canvas idea from Babbledabbledo.com.
6. How about this Simple Simon game from Toddler Approved?
Sidewalk Chalk Crafts:
7. Get crafty with this chalk hair coloring technique from So Here’s my Life.
8. Or how about making your own sidewalk chalk, like they did over at Playful Learning.net.
9. I love this cool trick for making chalk more vibrant, found over at Paper and Fox.
DIY Chalk Recipes:
10. These crafty variations of sidewalk chalk look like so much fun!
More than just chalk… Here are a couple more boredom busters for the kids:
- Boredom Busters: Simple Paper Craft Ideas for Kids
- Easy DIY Nightlights (from a foam cup)
- 25 Ideas to Keep Kids Busy During Spring Break
- 30 Days of Summer Fun ideas for the Kids!
- A Craft Subscription Box You and the Kids Will Love!
- Summer Activity Jars
- A DIY for the Kids: Strawberry Ice Cream in a Bag