| | | |

Comfy Fleece Cardigan (Ikea Hack!)

Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Make a comfy Fleece Waterfall Cardigan from a blanket!

How to make a cardigan sweater from fleece

Make a cardigan from a fleece blanket:

I do what I can to keep our gas and electric bills down.  I turn off all the lights, unplug energy draining appliances, use the fans in summer, etc…  In the winter, I am of the opinion that if you’re cold, instead of turning up the heater, go put on a sweater.   (This is directed to my hubby who walks around in shorts, tees and bare feet, then complains about being cold!)

I have several sweaters and cardigans that I wear almost constantly during the winter months.  (You might even catch me walking around the house with one of my kids throw blankets draped over my shoulders – they are so warm!)

I was at Ikea last week and noticed they had large (51 x 67) fleece throw blankets for 2.99.  As I passed by, I mentally added a trip to the fabric store for fleece so I could make a new cardigan using my draped shawl cardigan tutorial pattern.  (Click the link for the tutorial.)

While eating lunch with the kiddos, (It was Tuesday and kids eat free) it dawned on me that I didn’t need to go to the fabric store, I could just use their fleece blankets for my fabric.  At 2.99 for almost 2 yards of fleece, the price was better than you could get at a fabric store.

When I got home, I whipped out another cardigan in less than an hour!

DIY Draped Cardigan Tutorial (Made with a $2.99 Ikea Fleece Blanket.) #ikeahack

Doesn’t it look comfy and warm?  I wish I had made this cardigan in December instead of February.  It will get lots of use next year, for sure!

The blanket had a laser-cut edge, so I lined up my measurements to keep the detail.  This fleece does not stretch like a regular knit, so keep that in mind when cutting.  You may want to add an extra 1/4 inch around the arm hole and upper arm measurement.  When I tried on the first arm, it was a little snugger than I like, so I went back and re-sewed this area with a smaller seam allowance and that was all it needed.

I seriously recommend this project, even for a beginning sewer.  (I consider myself an “advanced” beginner.)  Once you have the pattern made, you will be able to whip these out in less than an hour.  Wouldn’t this make a wonderful gift to a mom/sister/aunt/friend?

Draped cardigan tutorial ==>> here

If you are inspired to create something based on this tutorial, I would love to see it, come back and Share it on my Facebook page!

Pin this project here ==>>

Don't miss any more posts!

FeedlyBloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

32 Comments

1. First off I love the edge! so cool and I can't believe how fast you made this! So cute! I totally am a sweater wearer in the winter. I would rather through on a cardi then turn up the heat. Thanks so much for linking up and sharing on Blissful & Domestic.

2. Ashley @ A Crafty House says:

This is such a great idea… Love it!

3. Designed by Dawn Nicole says:

So pretty and creative! It looks super cozy too. I love the red and edge detail. 🙂

4. 4you-withlove says:

This is awesome! I love the color and it looks so warm and comfy!

5. Cranberry Morning says:

That's a great idea, and who doesn't LOVE polar fleece in the chilly months. Living in NW Wisconsin, I have a whole wardrobe full of it. 🙂 Nice work!

6. Life With Lucy says:

SUCH a great idea! Those ikea blankets are perfect for this and most definitely cheaper than buying fleece at the fabric store. I love the embellished edge on that color too! Thanks so much for sharing!

7. Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer says:

It looks so much better as a cardigan. Love the color, and it looks like its really comfortable. Really like the lacy edge, really adds a lot. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best.

8. It looks so comfortable. What a great idea. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!! Have a great week!

9. Thanks for linking up @CountryMommaCooks…Have a wonderful Sunday:)

10. Classy Clutter says:

aw!! I love this one too! So cute!

xoxo, Mallory

11. Super comfy and so cute looking! Great idea to repurpose a blanket! Love it!

12. Shasta @ intheoldroad says:

I so need that cardigan! Time to break out the sewing machine. I'm pinning this for reference (great tutorial in the previous post). I saw your link in the Naptime Crafters' party. I'm following you now 🙂

Have a great weekend,
    Shasta

13. Holy cow, so cute. Love the lacey edge you get on the blankets. Wish IKEA was closer for us. I'm pinning this and sharing it with my crafty friend Maridith over at strictlyhomemade.blogspot.com. She will love this. She has a linky party on Tuesdays. Found you on Blissful & Domestic linky party.

14. Amanda Jones says:

This turned out amazing! What talent you have – you said an hour right?! WOW!! I am stopping by from WhipperBerry and would love if you would visit me too!!

Amanda
    everycreativeendeavor.com

15. OMGosh YOur so talented! Great job!

16. This looks better as a cardigan than a blanket! I love the details on the side, but I never purchased this blanket because it looked so chintzy and cheap to use on the couch. But I love love love it as a cardigan and it looks so lush and expensive 😉

17. Did you submit this to ilea hackers yet? The jacket is awesome!

1. Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom says:

Ha ha, I didn't think it was worthy, but maybe I will check it out. I tried to email you back, but your blogger settings are set to "no-reply". If you want to change the setting to allow emails, you can go here to learn more: Check you settings.

18. AWESOME! I have re-purposed SO MANY of those fleece blankets! And I think I have one of those red ones looking for a new home! I may have to whip something up soon! A couple of years ago, I had a bunch of ladies get the eggshell ones and embellish them with holly leaves and berries, wool and embroidery – AMAZING! Thanks for sharing such a cute idea!

1. I love your idea of an eggshell throw with embellished holly leaves and berries! Any pictures, I'd love to see that!