No Sew Table Runner
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
We have company coming for the Memorial Holiday Weekend. My kitchen table still had some Easter decor on it, so I figured I should probably change it out to something more appropriate for Summer and the upcoming holidays.
I still had several bandannas leftover from the Bandanna Tablecloth I made last Spring, so I grabbed a couple of bandannas and got to work!
The table cloth was really easy to make.
- 3 Bandannas (Don’t limit yourself to bandannas, you could use any fabric. All one piece of fabric or cut the fabric in to large patchwork pieces like I did…)
- hem tape (for the no-sew version)
1. First, decide the width and length you want for your table runner. I like to keep my table runners narrow because my kids are so messy.
2. I cut the bandannas in to 4 equal pieces and laid them out into a pleasing pattern. As you are arranging your pattern make sure to keep the hemmed edge of the bandannas to the outside of the table runner. (If you are using fabric don’t worry about the edges, I will address that later.)
3. Next, I grabbed the two bandanna squares from the first row and put them right sides together. I cut a piece of hem tape to the appropriate length and placed it at the edge of the two bandannas, where I needed the seam. Then I ironed the seam according to the directions for my brand of hem tape.
4. Once the tape cooled a bit, I flipped open the seam and pressed it flat.
I kept repeating this process until all my rows of two were “hemmed” together.
5. Next, I started connecting my rows of two together the same way. I laid out the bandanna pieces right sides together, lining up the center seams, and ironed them together.
After the seams had cooled, I flipped the table runner over and gave the seams another good press.
Keep in mind bandannas are irregular and your outside edges may not be straight. Mine were not, but that was the look I was going for. If you are using regular fabric or just want to straighten your edges, you can fold the edges of your table runner over 1/2 inch (towards the wrong side) and iron. Then just use the hem tape to hem the edges.
That’s it! Took all of about 20 minutes to create this cute No Sew Table runner.
I did lay a pieces of batting under my table runner to help protect my table from the wire basket and hopefully I will be able to replace my origami flowers with some real ones this weekend! 🙂
Don't miss any more posts!
Follow along on:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.
Very cute and very easy looking!
This is gorgeous! I would use that all summer long.. so fun and festive!
Amie @ Pinkapotamus
Love it! I would love for you to link up to The CSI Project this week. The challenge is Patriotic Projects! Hope to see you there.
Dee, the CSI Girl
YAY for no sewing!!!! It looks fabulous!!
Thanks for sharing at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!
This is great, super easy, just right. I've come by from Show and Share #42
This is such a cute idea! I love the bandanas! How creative!
Love this, my friend is having a cowboy party for her triplets, this would be perfect for the tables! Pinning!
Super cute!! I am a big fan of hem tape! I've cheated many a times on pant hems! 😉 This is a great summer patriotic table runner – I'd love for you to come share it at our Patriotic Link-up Party: http://www.ourhousestory.net/2012/05/patriotic-link-up-party.html#
This is great. I have an odd sized dining room table so use runners a bunch. I would love it if you would share on my linky party – Tout It Tuesday. http://www.claimingourspace.com/2012/05/tout-it-tuesday-8.html
How cute! I love bandanas!
If you have time, I would love if you would share this at my link party:
Thanks and have a great day!
That is so fun and easy!!! Love it!
So cute! This would be perfect for my picnic table outside.
This table runner is so cute! And no sewing…wonderful!!! We appreciate you linking up with us!! It's so fun to see all of the great ideas and recipes! We hope to see you back again soon! -The Sisters
This is such a simple yet fantastic idea!!!
How creative and you made it so simple! We would love to have you join the Saturday Show & Tell at Cheerios and Lattes. My readers would love your ideas! 🙂 Have a great weekend!
Love this! We have our Kitchen Fun and Crafty link party going on now and would love for you to share this!
Very cute! I will be stopping back in for more useful crafty ideas.
Stopping by from Six Sisters and would love to have you come by and join up our Weekend Blog Walk at At Home Take 2. http://www.athometake2.blogspot.com.
Very cute and summery!
That is a creative and super simple idea. Great work.
This is a really cool idea! I would have never thought of using hem tape for something like this. Visiting from Whimsically Homemade.
I love your creative table runner, super cute. Perfect for the summertime. Nice work.
Very cute idea, and I love the bandannas they do make it look like summer
Really cute! Hem tape is great when you don't feel like fussing with the sewing machine. I used it for a quick table runner at Christmas – one rectangle of fabric hemmed with hem tape!
This is really a cute idea! Hopefully my hemtape