Update: I wanted to add in a quick comment about this recipe… If you are anything like me, you may have this dish on your menu and then look up at the clock and see that it is already 3pm. Oops, too late for the slow cooker, but I have made this recipe many times in the microwave. Yep, and it’s just as good. I have added the microwave cooking directions at the bottom of the post.
- +/- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 10 oz of salsa verde
- 3/4 block of low fat cream cheese
- optional ( 1 or 2 4 oz cans of diced green chiles)
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Dump salsa over the top of the chicken, Add diced green chilies if using.
- Cook for 5 to 6 hours on low depending on the size and amount of chicken breasts. (I usually stick a thermometer in the chicken before the end of the cooking time. Chicken breasts will definitely dry out if cooked too long.)
- About 30 minutes before the cooking time is complete, remove the chicken from the crock pot and shred it.
- Return the chicken to the crock pot. If your chicken is sitting in a lot of juice, you may want to spoon off some of the broth before adding in the cream cheese. (You can always add it back in later if the mixture needs more liquid. I have noticed that some chicken breasts are injected with broth or salt water during processing, check the front of the package for the fine print to see if anything extra has been added. This will create a lot more “broth” at the bottom of your crock pot, which you may want to spoon out.)
- Mix the shredded chicken with the salsa at the bottom of the crock pot. Add the block of cream cheese to the chicken and salsa mixture. (Just set the cheese right on top.)
- After about 30 more minutes, the cream cheese should be melted enough to stir completely into the shredded chicken.
- Serve on tortillas with all the fixin’s and enjoy!
1. Place chicken in the bottom of a pyrex dish (make sure the dish is not so big it will interfere with the rotating plate in your microwave.) and add enough water to mostly cover the chicken and cover with plastic wrap. (If your chicken pieces are huge, I recommend cutting them up into even size pieces.)
2. Cook the chicken on high for about 11 minutes. (11 minutes does cook 4 huge chicken breast [cut into smaller pieces] in my 1100 watt microwave. All microwaves are different, so be sure to check your chicken for done-ness.)
3. Place chicken and the rest of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and shred/mix everything together using a mixer. (You can use a fork, but a mixer is so much easier.)
4. Add in a few spoonfuls of chicken broth or the chicken cooking water so the chicken mixture is nice and juicy, but not dripping when you put it on the tortilla.Don’t miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin’, via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: