I love the idea of making soup in the crock pot, but many times when I have a crock pot dish on the menu, I forget to defrost the chicken, soak the beans or just didn't get the meal started in time. Luckily this soup is super easy and can come together in under 30 minutes. (Of course, if you are able to let it simmer a bit longer it tastes even better!)
My daughter is a much more adventurous eater than my 7 year old son, and she loves soup too. When I told her we were having soup for dinner, her little face lit up and she said, "Soup? I love soup! Of course this is not the reaction I got from my 7 yr old son, but after I made him taste it, he changed his mind pretty quick and polished off his bowl!
With this soup, you can use canned/frozen ingredients (which I do sometimes,) or you can use your own chicken broth, beans and leftover chicken. Whatever you have on hand... (I used leftover chicken fajita meat, store bought chicken broth, one can of beans and the last baggie of black beans I had in my freezer.)
Quick and Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 2 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 corn tortillas broken into very small pieces
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Saute garlic and onions about 3 minutes. Add pre cooked chicken, chili powder and cumin and cook another minute or so.
- Add tomatoes (with juice), beans, broth, corn, diced chilies, lime juice and 1 cup water to the pan; season with salt and pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Add broken up tortillas and cook until tortillas have dissolved (5 to 10 minutes). You can serve the soup now or simmer over low heat for up to 30 minutes to allow the flavors to merge a bit more.
- Serve with optional shredded cheese, tortilla chips, sliced avocado and/or sour cream.
Enjoy! Don't forget to pin it!
If you like this type of recipe and want to see more, you can follow along using the Google Friend Connect widget, through a reader, or signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below:
I will be linking up to some of the linky parties listed here.