I love this time of year: holiday celebrations, colder temperatures and all of the delicious soups, stews and other dishes that are so perfect to help warm us up on chilly nights! This super simple, Crock Pot Creamy Green Chile Enchilada Soup recipe will definitely Keep you warm and happy...
One of my pantry staples is cream cheese. It's just so versatile, not only does it make great desserts and frostings, but it also pairs well with savory and spicy recipes too. This hearty Green Chile Enchilada Soup was made so much more creamy and delicious with the addition of cream cheese. (Do you love cream cheese too? Be sure to take a few moments to check out the PHILADELPHIA cream cheese page for tons of recipe ideas using cream cheese.)
If you've been reading my blog for a while, you've probably noticed quite a few of my recipes are made with cream cheese. A couple of my favorite savory cream cheese recipes are:
Creamy Chicken Verde Tacos,
Green Chile Enchilada Casserole,
Creamy Green Chile Dip and
Creamy Buffalo Chicken.
The Chicken Verde Tacos is actually what inspired this recipe. (True story: my hubby would come home from work and instead of making himself a taco, he would drink the excess cooking liquid from the tacos. I figured if it was that good, I should probably come up with some sort of soup recipe using the same ingredients...)
Slow Cooker Creamy Green Chile Enchilada Soup
- 32 oz chicken both
- 24 oz chicken breasts
- 2 cans of Green Chile enchilada sauce
- 4 oz can of diced green chilies
- 3/4 cup of water
- 2 tbsp of ground cumin
- 1 tbsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 cup of frozen corn (defrosted)
- 1 block of cream cheese (cut up into a few pieces)
- 3/4 cup of instant rice (not cooked)
- salt and pepper to taste (depending on the sodium level of your broth, you may need more salt.)
- tablespoon of corn starch (only if needed)
- optional: shredded cheese, avocado and/or sour cream for garnish
- In your slow cooker, mix together the broth, green enchilada sauce, green chilies, water, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin. (My spice measurements are to my taste, it is up to you if you like more or less...)
- Add the chicken breasts to the crock pot and cook on low for 7 hours.
- At the 7 hour mark, remove the chicken to another dish. Shred the chicken and put back in your slow cooker. Add the rice, corn and cream cheese to the soup mixture and replace the lid. Cook for another 30 minutes and stir the soup, making sure to get the cream cheese mixed in. You may need to cook just a bit longer to ensure the cream cheese is melted completely.
- At this point, you can judge to consistency of your soup. If you would like it thicker, mix a tablespoon of cornstarch with about 1/8 cup of water and then mix into the soup, after 10 to 20 minutes the soup should thicken considerably.
Products used and recommended in this post:
- Hamilton Beach Set it and Forget it Slow Cooker
- Soup ladle (Love that this has the oz labeled in the ladle)
- Herdez Salsa Verde (Best green salsa ever!)
Three more fabulous slow cooker recipes you might enjoy:
Don't miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin', via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: