This Creamy Green Chile Enchilada Soup recipe will certainly warm you up!
One of my pantry staples is cream cheese. It's just so versatile! Not only does it make great desserts and frostings, but it also pairs well with savory and spicy recipes too. This hearty Green Chile Enchilada Soup was made so much more creamy and delicious with the addition of cream cheese.
(Do you love cream cheese too? Be sure to take a few moments to check out the PHILADELPHIA cream cheese page for tons of recipe ideas using cream cheese.)
If you've been reading my blog for a while, you've probably noticed quite a few of my recipes are made with cream cheese. A few of my favorites are:
- Cherry and Cream Cheese Heart Pastries,
- No Bake Cheesecake Bites
- Blackberry and Cream Cheese Mini Turnovers
- Creamy Chicken Verde Tacos,
- Green Chile Enchilada Casserole
- Quick Enchilada Skillet.
- Creamy Green Chile Dip
- Creamy Buffalo Chicken
Ok, after looking over this list, it's obvious that I have a thing for cream cheese, green chilies and enchiladas. (And so does my family- I can't tell you how much they love this recipe!) What I love most though, is that the prep is so easy. Just toss everything in the crock pot and 8 hours later, have this delicious soup for dinner!
Slow Cooker Creamy Green Chile Enchilada Soup
- 32 oz chicken both
- 24 oz chicken breasts
- 2 cans of Green Chili enchilada sauce
- 4 oz can of diced green chilies
- 3/4 cup of water
- 2 tbsp of ground cumin
- 1 tbsp of chile powder
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 cup of frozen corn (defrosted)
- 1 block of PHILADELPHIA cream cheese (cut up into a few pieces)
- 3/4 cup of instant rice
- salt and pepper to taste (depending on the sodium level of your broth, you may need more salt.)
- table spoon of corn starch (only if needed)
- In your slow cooker, mix together the broth, green enchilada sauce, green chilies, water, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin. (My spice measurements are to my taste, it is up to you if you like more or less...)
- Add the chicken breasts to the crock pot and cook on low for 7 hours.
- At the 7 hour mark, remove the chicken to another dish. Shred the chicken and put back in your slow cooker. Add the rice, corn and cream cheese to the soup mixture and replace the lid. Cook for another 30 minutes and stir the soup, making sure to get the cream cheese mixed in. You may need to cook just a bit longer to ensure the cream cheese is melted completely.
- At this point, you can judge to consistency of your soup. If you would like it thicker, mix a table spoon of corn starch with about 1/8 cup of water and then mix into the soup, after 10 to 20 minutes the soup should thicken considerably.
Don't miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin', via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: