If you enjoy the flavors of green chilies, chicken and cheese, you will love this Low Carb Green Chile Enchilada Soup. Bonus: this recipe can be made in either the pressure cooker or slow cooker!
One of my family’s all-time favorite dishes is this Slow Cooker Green Chile Enchilada Soup Recipe. Since we’ve reduced the amount of carbs from our diet (mostly in the form of bread, pasta, white rice and added sugar) I have not made this soup recipe in over two years!
The Chicken Verde Tacos is actually what inspired this recipe. (True story: my hubby would come home from work and instead of making himself a taco, he would drink the excess cooking liquid from the tacos. (A mixture of the broth, green chiles and cream cheese. I figured if the cooking liquid was that good, I should probably come up with some sort of soup recipe using the same ingredients…)
We still get our spicy Green Chile Chicken fix. I instead of the soup, I’ll often cook chicken breasts or thighs in either the slow cooker or pressure cooker, mix in cream cheese and salsa and serve the chicken in a salad or on low carb tortillas.
As I was planning our meals last week and adding ingredients to the grocery list. (All online btw, oh how I love grocery delivery!) I decided it was time to make this recipe over into a low carb version. (All I did was omit the corn, rice and cornstarch, not sure why I hadn’t done this before.) I had totally forgotten how delicious this soup is.
You definitely need to add this Low Carb Green Chile Enchilada Soup to your menu this week! Low carb or not low carb, it’s amazing either way! Since I’ve been using my pressure cooker so much lately, I included cooking instructions for both the slow cooker and the pressure cooker.
- Thighs are amazing in this Low Carb Green Chile Enchilada Soup recipe, but you’ll want to remove as much fat from the thigh as you can prior to cooking.
- Spice measurements are to taste, I’ve had one person tell me they thought it was too spicy, but hundreds who have said they like it as is, so use judgment.
- The recipe calls for 1 can of diced green chiles, but I actually use 2 for even more flavor
- For best results, don’t use store brand cream cheese, I have found certain brands won’t dissolve/mix in all the way!!!
Products used and recommended in this post:
- Hamilton Beach Set it and Forget it Slow Cooker
- Soup Ladle (Love that this has the oz labeled in the ladle)
- Herdez Salsa Verde (Best green salsa ever!)
Pressure Cooker Recommendations:
Don’t have a pressure cooker, but been thinking about getting one? I suggest looking at these:
- Cuisinart 6 quart pressure cooker
- Fagor 8 qt pressure cooker
- Instant Pot 6 quart,
- Instant Pot 8 quart (If I didn’t already have one I would get the 8qt one in a heartbeat- I want that yogurt function!!
- Pressure Cooker Meals: Recipes, Tips, and Explanations
I have a few more delicious low carb recipes here => Low Carb recipes. (You definitely don’t want to miss that chili dog casserole recipe!)
Low Carb Green Chile Enchilada Soup
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 24 oz boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 15 oz jar of Herdez Salsa (You can substitute 2 cans of green enchilada sauce)
- 4 oz can of diced green chilies
- 3/4 cup of water
- 2 tbsp of ground cumin
- 1 tbsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 8 oz block of softened cream cheese (cut up into a few pieces)
- salt and pepper to taste (depending on the sodium level of your broth, you may need more salt.)
- optional: shredded cheese, avocado and/or sour cream for garnish
Pressure Cooker Instructions:
- Place chicken in the bottom of the pressure cooker insert.
- Add the broth, salsa, green chilies, water, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin to pot, mixing everything together.
- Set pressure cooker to high for 15 minutes. Do a 10-minute natural pressure release, though if you used thighs, I’ve found a quick release works fine.
- Remove chicken from pot, shred and return to pot.
- Add cream cheese to chicken mixture. Set pressure cooker to soup/simmer for 2 minutes and do a quick release.
- Mix soup with cream cheese, making sure cream cheese in thoroughly dissolved into broth. (If the cc doesn’t dissolve all the way, it’s ok, the soup will still be delicious!)
- Top with your favorite garnishes and serve.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- In your slow cooker, mix together the broth, salsa, green chilies, water, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin.
- Add the chicken breasts to the crock pot and cook on low for 7 hours.
- At the 7 hour mark, remove the chicken to another dish. Shred the chicken and put back in your slow cooker.
- Add the cream cheese to the soup mixture and replace the lid. Cook for another 30 minutes and stir the soup, making sure to get the cream cheese mixed in. You may need to cook just a bit longer to ensure the cream cheese is melted completely.
- Top with your favorite garnishes and serve.
Don't miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: