Baked Beef, Black Bean and Corn Empanadas
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These amazing Baked Empanadas are filled with ground beef, black beans, corn, and tex-mex spices. They are super simple to make and loved by everyone!
We eat quite a bit of Tex-Mex-inspired meals around here; we live in South Texas, after all. The whole family just loves the flavors and spices.
I made these simple beef, black bean, and corn Empanadas, and everyone thought they were muy delicioso! Such a nice variation from the typical chicken dishes I make.
Where to find Premade Empanada Dough
I used Empanada rounds I found in the freezer section of my local grocery store. If you can’t find frozen empanada rounds, you can keep it simple by using a frozen pie crust or make your own.
Homemade Empanada Dough recipe:
Ingredients (makes about 12 empanada Rounds):
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter cubed
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup cold water
- Add flour, butter, and salt to a food processor. Pulse a few times until the butter and flour starts to ball up.
- Add egg and cold water to the butter-flour mixture. Pulse just until ball of dough forms.
- Form the dough into a flat round disk and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate about an 1 hour.
- Roll out dough to ¼ inch thickness. Cut into circles about 5 inches in diameter using small bowl.
Craving more Family-Friendly Tex-mex Dishes?
Check these out:
- Cornbread Casserole Recipe
- Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Barbecue Beef Sliders
- Family Favorite White Chicken Chili Recipe
- Taco Skillet Recipe
- Easy Southwest Chicken Pizza
- Green Chile Chicken Tacos
- Black-Eyed Pea, Corn And Avocado Salad
Beef, Black Bean and Corn Empanadas
- 1 package empanada dough rounds – if you can’t find the empanada dough rounds, just use pre-made pie crust (You could also make it from scratch..)
- olive oil
- 1 cup of diced onions
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package of taco seasoning or its equivalent in dried spices
- 1 additional tsp each of dried cumin and garlic *optional, but I add the extra spice for stronger flavor (I put cumin and garlic in practically everything…)
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 3/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup of salsa
- shredded cheese
- optional: Sour cream and guacamole for serving
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and saute the onion for about 2 minutes.
- Add the ground beef (breaking into crumbles as you cook it), taco seasoning and spices and cook until brown.
- Add black beans, corn, and salsa, cooking for another 3 minutes or so, to help the flavors blend.
- Preheat the oven to 425
- Prepare your dough, if using pie crusts or your own dough, cut the dough into 5-inch circles. (or squares if easier.)
- Add about 3 tablespoons of the beef mixture to the center of the dough and top with a generous amount of shredded cheese.
- Fold the dough in half and seal edges with a fork.
- Brush the tops of the empanadas lightly with oil and bake on a well-greased cookie sheet for about 20 minutes or until golden brown
- Serve with optional sour cream, guacamole and enjoy!
Don't miss any more posts!
Follow along on:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.
Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you have a great summer week end and enjoy your new Red Plate.
Come Back Soon!
One word! YUM! Definitely pin-worthy =) Thanks for sharing!
That looks yummy! Stopping by from Tip Junkie.
These look delicious, I have pinned so that I remember to try them. Stopping by from Thursday Temptations link party
Delish! Thanks so much for sharing! We would love it if you would link some of your recipes & tutorials over at our party!
you have my mouth watering I can just imagine how great these are come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com/2012/07/garden-recipe-stuffed-zucchini.html
Great post. I found this through the Create and Inspire linky party. I linked in an attempt at meatballs.
Have a lovely week.
With some shredded chicken instead, I would be all over these, thanks for the dinner idea 🙂
I am inviting you to come and share this in my Show Your Stuff blog hop:
Came over from Full Plate Thursday. these sous so good! i am a new follower on GFC. Patsy
Mmmm – Sounds Tasty! I need to make these – I'm craving now. Visiting from Friday Faves link up – Have a wonderful weekend 🙂
Your Empanadas look delicious! Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Yum! I love empanadas but have never made this kind before. Can't wait to try them!
I love empanadas! mmm now I'm totally hungry! I'd love for you to share this at Pin'Inspiration Thursday! http://www.addhousewife.com/2012/07/pininspiration-thursday-712.html
These look so good…I wish I could eat them right now…I'm really hungry!