These amazing Baked Empanadas are filled with ground beef, black beans, corn, and tex-mex spices. They are super simple to make and loved by everyone!
We eat quite a bit of Tex-Mex inspired meals around here, we live in South Texas after all. The whole family just loves the flavors and spices.
I made these simple beef, black bean, and corn Empanadas and everyone thought they were muy delicioso! Such a nice variation from the normal chicken dishes I make.
Where to find Premade Empanada Dough
I used Empanada rounds I found in the freezer section of my local grocery store. If you can’t find frozen empanada rounds, you can keep it simple by using a frozen pie crust or make your own.
Homemade Empanada Dough recipe:
(makes about 12 empanada Rounds)
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter cubed
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup cold water
- Add flour, butter, and salt to a food processor. Pulse a few times until the butter and flour starts to ball up.
- Add egg and cold water to the butter-flour mixture. Pulse just until ball of dough forms.
- Form the dough into a flat round disk and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate about an 1 hour.
- Roll out dough to ¼ inch thickness. Cut into circles about 5 inches in diameter using small bowl.
Craving more Family-Friendly Tex-mex Dishes?
Check these out:
- Easy Black Bean Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Barbecue Beef Sliders
- Family Favorite White Chicken Chili Recipe
- Taco Skillet Recipe
- Easy Southwest Chicken Pizza
- Green Chile Chicken Tacos
- Black-Eyed Pea, Corn And Avocado Salad
- 1 package empanada dough rounds – if you can’t find the empanada dough rounds, just use pre-made pie crust (You could also make it from scratch..)
- olive oil
- 1 cup of diced onions
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package of taco seasoning or its equivalent in dried spices
- 1 additional tsp each of dried cumin and garlic *optional, but I add the extra spice for stronger flavor (I put cumin and garlic in practically everything…)
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 3/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup of salsa
- shredded cheese
- optional: Sour cream and guacamole for serving
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and saute the onion for about 2 minutes.
- Add the ground beef (breaking into crumbles as you cook it), taco seasoning and spices and cook until brown.
- Add black beans, corn, and salsa, cooking for another 3 minutes or so, to help the flavors blend.
- Preheat the oven to 425
- Prepare your dough, if using pie crusts or your own dough, cut the dough into 5-inch circles. (or squares if easier.)
- Add about 3 tablespoons of the beef mixture to the center of the dough and top with a generous amount of shredded cheese.
- Fold the dough in half and seal edges with a fork.
- Brush the tops of the empanadas lightly with oil and bake on a well-greased cookie sheet for about 20 minutes or until golden brown
- Serve with optional sour cream, guacamole and enjoy!