This yummy Taco Skillet recipe is a family favorite meal! Tex Mex flavors, ground beef, and cheese are always a delicious combination. Bonus, it’s a one-pot meal, on the table in less than 30 minutes.
Easy Taco Skillet Recipe
This Taco Skillet Recipe is a favorite recipe of mine, my family just gobbles it up! It makes so much food, I usually get several meals out of it for my family of four.
The first night we just eat it as is with chips. And after that, I use the leftovers as a base for other meals. Things like filling for skillet enchiladas or enchilada casserole, burritos, or quesadillas.
I also love to package the taco skillet up for the freezer in small portions to have on hand for quick dinner options for the kids.
I am the type of cook who will take a recipe and just use whatever ingredients I have on hand. If you are the same, this is a wonderful “base” recipe to change up and use whatever you have on hand.
- Proteins: Any meat works: turkey, ground beef, or chicken.
- Rice: You can use any type of rice – white, brown, or even a box of Spanish or Mexican rice.
- Salsa: If you don’t have a jar of salsa you can use a can of petite diced tomatoes and a small can of diced green chilies plus a bit of cumin.
- Cheese: Use whatever cheese is your favorite, I personally love the Monterey/Colby Jack Blend for my Tex-Mex recipes.
- Toppings: Top with avocado lettuce, sour cream, extra cheese, jalapeno, cilantro, green onions, olives. If you like it, it will work in this recipe.
More simple dinner recipes:
- One Pot Spaghetti And Meatballs
- Green Chile Chicken Tacos
- Easy Meatball Calzones
- Slow Cooker 3 Ingredient Barbecue Pulled Pork Recipe
- Mini Meatloaf In A Muffin Tin Recipe
- Easy One Pot Meatball Stroganoff Recipe
This yummy Taco Skillet recipe is a family favorite meal! Tex Mex spices, ground beef, and cheese are a delicious combination. Bonus, it’s a one-pot meal, ready in 30 minutes.
- 2 cups of chopped/shredded/ground meat (I use whatever meat I have on hand already cooked. Turkey, beef, or chicken all work.)
- 1 pkg taco seasoning mix
- 1 jar (16 oz) thick & chunky salsa (the original recipe called for 1 jar, but I am too cheap to use a whole jar, I just use 1/4 and it still tastes great)
- 1 can (11 oz) corn (mexi-corn works great))
- 2 cups cooked instant rice
- 3 cups (+/-) beans (black or pintos work well)
- 2 cups shredded cheese (divided – your favorite kind)
- optional for garnish: lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream, diced avocado, green onions – whatever you like on your tacos or have in the fridge
- In a large skillet cook (or reheat) meat of choice.
- Stir in seasoning mix, rice, beans, salsa and corn, and 1 cup of cheese.
- Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese; cover and let stand 1 to 2 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve as is, with tortilla chips, or in a tortilla and top with your favorite garnishes
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.