If you love your Instant Pot/pressure cooker, take it to a whole other level with this crazy simple Instant Pot Cream of Tomato Soup! It’s delicious, hearty and oh-so-flavorful! (Stovetop and slow cooker cooking instructions included too.)
Instant Pot Cream of Tomato Soup – Simple, Delicious and Filling
To say I love my pressure cooker may be an understatement, lol. I’m the type of person who’s always up for a challenge, and so I’m constantly looking for ways to throw a recipe at my Instant Pot to see how it performs. Let me tell you…it has an almost perfect track record of producing deliciousness. (I have a cinnamon apple recipe to share soon that is absolutely amazing, but after 3 tries to get my instant pot to come to pressure with the apples, I finally gave up and did them on the stove top.)
My latest and greatest soup that it created? This Instant Pot Cream of Tomato Soup. I always liked tomato soup, but I LOVE this one. There’s just something about how creamy it is that had me taking bite after bite only to realize that my bowl was empty before I even realized it. (No worries, I’ll happily eat two bowls of soup with no issue!)
Want to learn how to make Tomato Soup in the Instant Pot? Read on…
What make this Instant Pot Cream of Tomato Soup SO AMAZING?
One little ingredient takes this soup over the top in flavor. And that ingredient is….*drumroll please*….heaving whipping cream. Yep, you read it here first, folks. If you want your soup to be creamy, sweet and ah-mazing, you gotta add the cream.
Can you add Fresh Tomatoes to this Instant Pot Cream of Tomato Soup Recipe?
For sure. And as a matter of fact, that would probably taste even more amazing than canned tomatoes! But, if you are making this in winter, you may be hard-pressed for fresh tomatoes from your garden (unless you’re a canner, then go you! You rock!) and have to substitute for store-bought ones instead.
This soup is perfect for chilly days, book reading afternoons and fun family game nights as well. Don’t forget to pair it with a rocking grilled cheese (like my Grilled Cheese with Avacado or Tomato Sandwich) or garlic toast as well!
Don’t have a pressure cooker, but been thinking about getting one? I suggest looking at these:
- Cuisinart 6 quart pressure cooker
- Instant Pot 8 quart (If I didn’t already have one I would get the 8qt one in a heartbeat- I want that yogurt function!!)
- Fagor 8 qt pressure cooker
- Pressure Cooker Meals: Recipes, Tips, and Explanations
(I currently use the Power Pressure Cooker XL, but if I were to buy a second one, I would go with the 8 qt Fagor or 8 qt Instant Pot – my current cooker works fine, but I feel like I have to “hack the presets” to cook any recipe, not in the book that came with the appliance.) *update: I caved on prime day and bought the 8 qt Instant Pot!
How to Make Cream of Tomato Soup on the Stove Top
Don’t have a pressure cooker yet, but still want to make this soup? It’s actually just as easy…
Saute the onions in a large saucepan. Add all the ingredients except the cream, salt, and pepper. Bring the tomato soup to simmer. Stir in heavy cream and reduce heat to low. Season with a little salt and pepper and simmer over low for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Use a blender or immersion blender to puree the soup. Strain out solids if desired.
How to Make Cream of Tomato Soup in the Slow Cooker
To make the cream of tomato soup in the slow cooker, add all of the ingredients except for the heavy cream to the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Puree the soup with an immersion blender. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a regular blender and puree in smaller batches.
Be sure to take care as the soup will be hot! Stir the heavy cream and serve.
Other soup recipes you may enjoy:
Don't miss any more posts!
Follow along on:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!
If you love your Instant Pot, take it to a whole other level with this crazy simple Instant Pot Cream of Tomato Soup! Delicious, hearty and flavorful!
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 can tomatoes, crushed, 28 oz
- 1 14 oz can tomatoes, diced, drained
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ c heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start the Instant Pot by pressing the saute button
- Melt the butter in the pot and add the onions. Saute 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, garlic powder, thyme, basil, and smoked paprika
- Place the lid on the pot and turn the toggle into the sealing position
- Press manual, high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Let it do a natural release for 10 minutes and then release the remaining pressure with a quick release until the pin drops.
- Open carefully and give it a stir.
- With an immersion blender, blend all the chunky tomatoes and onions until smooth. Alternatively, you can use your blender but be very careful in blending hot liquids in the blender! (remove the center plastic cup from the top of the lid and cover with a clean towel to let steam escape)
- Optional step: for a very smooth soup, you can strain out the solids with a fine mesh strainer. (personally, I like my soup a little on the “chunky side.”)
- Add the cream and give a final stir.
- Serve with garlic toast and enjoy!
Optional step: for a very smooth soup, you can strain out the solids with a fine mesh strainer.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 273
- Fat: 18
- Carbohydrates: 21
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 7
Keywords: tomato, soup,