The Best Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes Recipe – Perfect for Fall!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These amazing Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes are a cozy and comforting single-serve fall dessert. Enjoy all the flavors of your favorite holiday pie wrapped up in a delicious cupcake and topped with a sweet and creamy cream cheese frosting!
These cupcakes definitely need to go on your must-make list!
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
These made-from-scratch moist and spongy pumpkin spice cupcakes are sure to steal the show at your next fall or holiday gathering.
Rich pumpkin purée and aromatic cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger are combined with a few pantry staples to create these easy and delicious pumpkin pie-inspired cupcakes.
In less than 40 minutes, you can have a warm batch of these fresh and flavorful cupcakes ready to delight the old and young alike! Simply pair your warm and spicy cupcakes with a sweet and creamy cream cheese frosting and watch the delight on your loved one’s faces as they sink their teeth into the first bite!
Why you should Make THIS Pumpkin Spice Cupcake Recipe
- Easy: One of the best parts about these cupcakes is how simple they are to make!
- Rich pumpkin flavor that is perfect as a Fall dessert.
- Perfect to make ahead and freeze. You can even make a batch of these cupcakes ahead of time and freeze them! When you’re ready to serve your pumpkin spice cupcakes, simply pull them out of the freezer and let them come to room temperature before frosting.
- Simple pantry staple ingredients. All you really need is a can of pumpkin purée, some warming spices, a few pantry staples, a cupcake tin, and a hot oven; no specialty ingredients or equipment is required!
So, what are you waiting for? Light a fall-scented candle, throw on your coziest sweater, and get baking these rich and delicious pumpkin spice cupcakes!
Ingredients + Tips for Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
(Ingredients at a glance. Grab the full recipe at the bottom of the post.)
- Pumpkin Purée | A can of earthy sweet pumpkin purée adds a comforting and classic fall flavor to these pumpkin spice cupcakes.
- Unbleached Flour | This slightly denser flour is less refined and therefore better for you. It is also thought that unbleached flour adds structure to your baked goods.
- Unsalted Butter | Using softened unsalted butter allows you as the baker to control exactly how much salt goes into your light and spongy cupcakes.
- Granulated Sugar | Common baking sugar that is used to add caramelization and sweetness to these warm and cozy cupcakes.
- Eggs | You’ll add a few eggs to your cupcake batter to ensure that your cakes come out stable and spongy.
- Whole Milk | Used to thin your cupcake batter and add a sense of richness to your finished cupcakes. If you don’t mind losing some of the richness, you can use low-fat milk or plant-based milk instead.
- Baking Powder | A small amount of baking powder is used to add lift and airiness to your finished cupcakes.
- Pumpkin Pie Spices | Cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, vanilla.
- Salt | A pinch of salt brings the pumpkin pie flavor in these cupcakes to life!
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
- Begin making these moist and comforting cupcakes by creaming together your unsalted butter and granulated sugar until a mixture that is smooth and light in color forms.
- To your butter mixture, add your eggs and vanilla and continue stirring until the mixture is uniform.
- To your butter and egg mixture, add your pumpkin purée and whole milk. Whisk until the purée is evenly distributed throughout the batter. Finally, add your flour, salt, baking powder, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
- Mix until just combined. Batter will be very thick.
- Line your muffin tin with cupcake liners. Using a cookie scoop or two spoons, evenly distribute your batter amongst the lined compartments of a cupcake tin. Each compartment should be roughly ¾ full.
- Bake your pumpkin spice cupcakes in a 350°F oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Top with the frosting of your choice, serve, and enjoy!
PRO Tip: For best cupcake results, fill the liners only about 2/3 full. (About 3 full Tablespoons of batter per cupcake.)
Frequently Asked Questions
What Kind Of Frosting Pairs Well With Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes?
I like frosting these pumpkin spice cupcakes with a cinnamon cream cheese frosting, but I also imagine that they would be delicious with a toasted marshmallow or caramel frosting.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 cup whole milk
- cinnamon to garnish
- In a medium bowl or stand mixer, whip the cream cheese. Once smooth, add the powdered sugar and whip again until the ingredients are homogenous.
- Slowly add the milk until the frosting has reached the desired consistency.
- Place in a piping bag or in a medium-sized Ziploc bag with a corner cut off and frost each cupcake.
Can I Use Oil Instead Of Butter in the Cupcakes?
Yes, you can. Cupcakes made with butter taste better, but cakes and cupcakes made with oil tend to be “fluffier” and last longer. A good rule of thumb to replace butter with oil would be to use about three-quarters of the amount of butter that is called for in the recipe.
Can I Use A Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend Instead Of The Listed Spices?
Absolutely! If you’re short on cash or time, you can easily swap out the cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger for a premade pumpkin pie spice blend. You’ll have less control over the individual flavors in your cupcakes, but they should still be moist and delicious!
Can I Make These Pumpkin Cupcakes Ahead Of Time?
Yes, you can make the cupcakes up to 1 to 2 months in advance and freeze them. Cool the baked cupcakes COMPLETELY. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in an air-tight container. When you’re ready to serve your pumpkin spice cupcakes, simply pull them out of the freezer and let them come to room temperature before frosting.
Can I Make Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes Gluten-Free?
Although I have not tried making these pumpkin spice cupcakes gluten-free, I would imagine that you could do so by swapping out the unbleached flour for a gluten-free flour blend in a 1:1 ratio.
What Goes Well With Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes?
I love serving these pumpkin spice cupcakes after a cozy and fun fall meal such as a hearty soup, stew, or pasta. Offer your guests a tall glass of ice-cold milk, whipped cream, or even a scoop of vanilla ice cream to accompany these fragrant and flavorful pumpkin spice cupcakes.
Alternatively, you can also serve these cupcakes alongside a variety of other fall-flavored desserts to create a cozy holiday dessert bar! I think these pumpkin spice cupcakes would be excellent served alongside some pecan pie, caramel cheesecake, and warm apple cider!
Tried this Pumpkin Spice Cupcake recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section below. If you share an image on Instagram or Facebook, be sure to tag me and use #scatteredmomrecipes!
More Pumpkin Recipes to Enjoy
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe
- Pumpkin Bread Pudding
- Whipped Pumpkin Cream Cheese Recipe
- Easy Pumpkin Pie Cake Bars Recipe
- Pumpkin Butter (similar to apple butter)
- No-Bake Pumpkin Pie
The Best Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 1 dozen 1x
- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ¾ tsp ground ginger
- Preheat your oven to 350 Fahrenheit. In a large bowl with a hand mixer, or in a stand mixer, combine the softened butter and white sugar. Cream the ingredients together until they are smooth.
- Add the eggs and vanilla. Whisk the ingredients together until the eggs are fully incorporated into the batter.
- Add the pumpkin puree and the whole milk and whisk until the pumpkin puree is evenly distributed throughout the batter. Once the ingredients are homogenous, Add the flour, salt, baking powder, and spices and mix until no pockets of flour remain.
- Distribute the batter evenly among a muffin tin lined with cupcake liners. The batter should come just short of the top of each cupcake liner.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 Fahrenheit, or until a toothpick can be removed from the cupcakes cleanly.
Don't miss any more posts!
Follow along on:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.