There’s nothing more fun for Halloween than spooky looking foods. These Monster Eyes Deviled Eggs are perfect for a Halloween party or for dinner before trick or treating.
I was brainstorming (ie: googling) for Halloween inspired foods, and came across this recipe for Avocado Deviled Eggs over at The Spinach Spot. My kids love boiled eggs as a snack or with their lunches, and they especially love deviled eggs. I thought these Monster Eye Halloween Deviled Eggs would make a perfectly spooky snack for my little ones.
Of course, I obviously changed up the recipe just a bit to fit my needs… (my spooky needs, lol)
Monster Eyes Deviled Eggs
One thing to keep in mind for avocado deviled eggs is: the riper the avocado, the better. My avocados weren’t that ripe, so I had to add a bit of mayo to get to the desired creaminess. But with a ripe avocado, this will not be necessary.
I saw pimientos when I was at the store and now I kind of wish I had bought them to put inside the olives. (Can you picture little red pimientos inside the olives?) No biggie though, these monster eye deviled eggs are still perfectly ghoulish. Bwah-ha-ha-ha…Print
- 10 to 12 boiled eggs
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tbs dill relish
- sliced black olives
- mayonnaise (optional- add 1 tsp at a time as needed to achieve optimum creaminess)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- red food coloring
- soft (brand new) paint brush
- Peel eggs and cut in half, lengthwise. Scoop out yolks.
- In a bowl mash together egg yolks, avocado and lemon juice. (My avocados were not super ripe, I found I needed to use a food processor.
- If the egg and avocado mixture needs more creaminess, add 1 tsp of mayo at time to achieve desired creaminess
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add a tiny bit of red food coloring to a spoon and using the paint brush, “paint” the red blood shot eyes onto the eggs.
- Spoon avocado mixture into eggs and top with a sliced black olive. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve and best if served within 6 hours.
- Serving Size: 1/2 egg
- Calories: 47
- Fat: 3
- Carbohydrates: 1
- Protein: 3