Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This Creamy Cajun Sausage Pasta Recipe is an easy family meal that everyone loves and is perfect for busy weeknights. The homemade creamy white sauce is the perfect backdrop for cajun spices and the recipe works wonderfully with sausage, chicken, or both! (scroll to the bottom for printable recipe)
Creamy Cajun Sausage Pasta
As a mom to two extremely busy kids, I am always on the hunt for easy dinner ideas that I can quickly make between homework, sports and activities, and my husband getting home from work. This Creamy Cajun Pasta with Sausage is one of my go-to dinners for those busy weeknights.
In the time that it takes for pasta to boil, I can pull together an entire meal that everyone loves.
If you’ve been following along with what I’ve been posting over in my instagram stories you might know we’ve been in the process of building a house (and being our own general contractor.)
We ended up moving out of our rent house last week. Since we were on a month to month lease, we had to give the management company a 60 day notice to move out and when we decided on our move out date, we were just a little too ambitious.
With the holidays and all of the rain, we lost almost 2 full weeks of work, so the house just did not get finished in time for us to meet our move out date.
Thank goodness we have an RV as I would hate to think how much an extended stay hotel would be for two weeks! We are currently residing in a little rv park just a few miles away from our new house.
I originally published this Creamy Cajun Pasta recipe back in 2011. It was one of the first recipes I shared on the blog and it desperately needed new images. Luckily, it’s a perfect recipe for me to make in the RV. (All I have is a frying pan and a 3 quart sauce pan, which is all that is needed for this recipe!)
And I need a project or two to keep busy!
Doesn’t it look yummy?
I used leftover Eckrich sausage when I made this Creamy Cajun Pasta today, but you can also substitute the sausage for pre-cooked chicken…or even use both for some variety.
The best part of this recipe is that you can literally make it in the time it takes for the pasta to boil. I find that by the time the water is boiling for the pasta, the veggies are already chopped and since the meat is pre-cooked, everything can be sauteed and ready to go by the time the pasta itself is finished. Just drain, mix with the veggies and meat, and dinner is served!
You can’t find a family-friendly weeknight meal much easier than that!
More 30 minute or less family recipe ideas:
- Easy One Pot Meatball Stroganoff Recipe (20 min meal)
- Teriyaki Beef and Broccoli with Udon Noodles
- Quick & Easy: Baked Chili Dogs
- Red Beans & Rice w/ Sausage Skillet
- 20 Minute Orange Chicken
- Cheesy Penne with Meatballs Recipe (20 Minute Meal)
Pin the Recipe here:
This Creamy Cajun Sausage Pasta is an easy family meal that everyone loves and is perfect for busy weeknights. The homemade creamy white sauce is the perfect backdrop for cajun spices and the recipe works wonderfully with sausage, chicken, or both!
- 12 ounces of pasta ( I prefer bow-tie)
- 12 oz of pre-cooked, chopped sausage or chicken (I used leftover Eckrich sausage)
- 3 cups of milk or half and half or combo of both (today I used 1 cup of fat free half ‘n half and 2 cups ff milk)
- 1/2 cup diced onions
3/4 cup diced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning (more or less depending on the spiciness, I used Tony Cachere’s its pretty spicy)
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- Start water boiling for pasta.
- Dice your veggies
- Saute mushroom and onions with Cajun seasoning, add meat and saute a little longer.
- Get pasta cooking.
- Turn down heat on the meat and veggies. Add in your milk and cream.
- Keep stirring over medium to medium low until sauce starts to thicken.
Add Garlic, basil and Parmesan cheese.
- When pasta is cooked, drain and add to the meat and cream mixture. Combine well.